My damn ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Got back from Cozumel Saturday. My ears
are still popping and snapping! They clear
well in the water and feel clear now. They
just pop and crackle all the time. What's
up anyway?:confused:

I am not a doctor. This is not medical advice.

I've noticed that this happens to me after several days of repetitive diving. It almost feels like my Eustachian tubes have, perhaps, become a little swollen.

I find that (1) taking some OTC anti-inflammatory meds (Aleve works for me); and (2) using Aurocaine for a couple of days, helps immensely.

Good luck.

BTW, you're an attorney. So am I. That should tell you all you need to know about my medical qualifications. Further disclaimers are unnecessary.:D

This is not medical advice.

I have the same thing after deep dives - my right ear wouldn't stop squeaking after a 130' dip on the weekend - it felt like my ears had closed shut, although there was no reverse squeeze, and clearing wasn't a problem - the swollen Eustachian tubes theory sounds like a good one. Some Sudafed (post-dive) cleared it up.

I'm a nurse, not a doctor but I have the same difficulty with my ears after diving a lot. Some of the problem is due to swollen tissues from being water logged (a decongestant after diving such as Sudafed helps to dry out the tissues), but there can also be irritation and inflamation of the tissues from the swelling or if you had trouble equalizing. To help with this, try an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen. If you are finding that one ear is worse than the other, you may still have some water trapped behind the swelling in your inner ear. Try taking the above meds before bed & then sleeping with the problem side down (ie. left ear is the problem, sleep on your left side). You might also try some of the ear drops available over the counter, but I would be cautious about putting anything in your ears. If this doesn't get better within about 48 hours, I would see your doctor as you might have an infection in your inner ear (if you have water, especially warm Mexican sea water, trapped in your inner ear it is a breeding ground for infection!)

I'm glad other people have the
same problem. They are getting better
so I'll try the meds and see if it doesn't
go away. Thanks again.:D

On occasion, I've returned from a dive trip, even just long weekend trips, and it seems like everything is "muffled." I don't have trouble hearing, but it's almost as though I have a small piece of cotton in my ears. When I went to the Dr., he told me I had a minor ear infection, prescribed some antibiotics, and the problem went away.

As NurseShark mentioned, this was after diving in those warm Mexican waters. I've been to Coz quite a few times, and the problem has only happened twice, so I guess you never know.

["If you are finding that one ear is worse than the other, you may still have some water trapped behind the swelling in your inner ear."

"If this doesn't get better within about 48 hours, I would see your doctor as you might have an infection in your inner ear (if you have water, especially warm Mexican sea water, trapped in your inner ear it is a breeding ground for infection!)"]

.... middle ear?

To get sea water into the inner ear requires a breach of the oval or round window. When this occurs, the expectation is for hearing loss, tinnitus and/or dizzyness, not a continuous sensation of "popping and snapping." The latter is more typical of fluids in the middle ear.

Also, the treatments you have suggested would not be effective against sea water or infection in the inner ear.

Am I perhaps missing something?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Inner ear, middle ear - not much separating them, ha,ha. Yes, I did mean middle ear as you are correct it would be pretty hard to get water into the inner ear without some sort of trauma & then ibuprofen & Sudafed aren't going to cut it. Please insert middle ear everywhere I wrote inner ear & thank you for catching this for me!
Best regards,
NurseShark:rolleyes:

I would get the same thing whenever my ex-girlfriend would speak. seriously though, I had a problem with awful ear infections from the lakes in MN. my dr. prescribed ACETASOL HC which are ear drops to put in pre dive. It is a vineger and oil based drop that prevents water from attaching to the ear. It may reduce your problems if you don't have drainage to deal with. Hope I helped, S.dog76

When an attorney needs medical advice, seek another attorney hehehehehe:D

on a more serious note Lawman, Have a Physician look at them. We have some great Medical Experts on the board and it is great to be able to get advice from them but it's just not worth taking any chances over. You don't know what is inside until you look.
hope it clears up without any complications.

-Crispy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom