My fears in the water!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... actually, I'd like to give you a more 'productive' answer than just calming phrases...

"Fear" has, at its base, one underlying foundation... that is, simply put, ignorance. A lack of knowledge about something causes people to try to fill in the blanks... and these 'fills' generally tend toward the extremes. Experience is one way of gaining knowledge that will help us dispose of our fears or... at least, put them in perspective and allow us to fill in those blanks with more temperate views.

iagree.gif

The most important thing is to educate yourself on your fears. These animals are just that, and they have specific behaviour patterns that, once learned, can be managed in a logical way. I, too, have been diving with many eels and barracuda and have never once felt threatened. I know that eels often rest during the day and do their hunting in the low light hours. As well, barracuda are unlikely to be aggressive unless provoked or enticed with something that looks like food!

Have had the opportunity recently to interact, from a distance, with both of these animals and get some pretty good photos!

1347968.jpg

20080920_Bonaire672.jpg

Hey guys,

Yesterday I had another classroom session and they talked about sharks, cudas and eels. I was re-assured once more that I was going to be ok. That they will come and check me out but that would be it. Now unles I get a camara with a tele zoom you will not see me taking a picture of these beautifull fishes at that distance. :)

Thank you
Again

Hey guys,

Yesterday I had another classroom session and they talked about sharks, cudas and eels. I was re-assured once more that I was going to be ok. That they will come and check me out but that would be it. Now unles I get a camara with a tele zoom you will not see me taking a picture of these beautifull fishes at that distance. :)

Thank you
Again

The best way I've found to scare off marine life is to point a camera at them. Cameras with lenses the size of a large eye seems to make them turn tail the fastest :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

i like to compare diving with "dangerous" marine life to visiting the dog park with my dog. when you first arive there are some dogs that come a check you out, others keep their distance. can a dog bite you? yes, but it's not likely. now, if i were to open up a big bag of food and stand in the middle of a bunch of dogs, aggressive or not, i might accidentally get bitten. also, if a pit bull comes on the scene, i'm not going to ru naway like prey, but i'll certainly keeps tabs on where it is.

i have about 150 dices under my belt, and most of them have been with sharks like hammerheads, reef sharks, tiger sharks ,lemon sharks (cocos island, tiger beach, bahammas, etc). my sense is that they just see divers as another big predator. stay out of their way if they want food and you'll be fine. most of the time (hammerhead esp) the sharks are hard to get close to. that being said, i've never seen a bull shark, and wouldn't care if i never do.

My wife and I did our OW cert dives three weeks ago. She wondered if she might be the same way you're describing; nervous and fearful. She said the moment she got under the water and saw everything around her, she forgot all fear and just felt awed by what she saw.

In the bay we were diving in, the biggest dangers to us were the stingrays and the rock scorpionfish, followed by sea urchins and type of snail. All of those, however, were only a danger if we didn't pay attention and landed right on top of them. We saw rays and scorpionfish on every dive, and never had any problem.

I think education and perspective helps. I started studying about sharks more, to get real facts instead of Hollywood hype (don't trust Discovery Channel for the most balanced facts, either). Even the much-dreaded Great White isn't nearly the malicious killer we've been led to believe, and the scientific consensus is that, unless we do something that specifically triggers the feeding response in sharks (such as having wounded or dead fish on our person, or acting like a creature the shark would normally feed on), the odds of being attacked are extremely low.

Moray eels look menacing because the way they breathe makes it appear they are baring their teeth at us. I've snorkeled with morays in Hawaii, and the most they do is watch you go by. If you don't go poking in their hidey holes, or do something to convince them your fingers are fish sticks, they're going to leave you alone. They don't want to come out after you, because in open water their long bodies are very vulnerable.

I'm far more afraid of the morons on the road en route to a dive site than I am of anything I might go diving with, because some idiot fumbling for their cell phone at freeway speeds can kill faster and more randomly than any wild animal on earth. I've also decided I'm far more afraid of letting fear rule my life than I am of the risks I was so afraid of to begin with (if that makes any sense to you).

Healthy fear is good. Letting fear rule us is not.

went to bahamas in june on lds trip. dive master was with us. wife was very apprehensive on the first dive. our divemaster took her under his wing and the beginning of a great dive vaction began. what ever you do make sure the first dive is enjoyable. we ended up seeing all those fearful creatures and thought they were great. going to cozumel in november hoping to see more sharks and other fearful creatures. enjoy the first dive and you will have an addiction for the rest of your life. happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom