My first brush with scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a bit unclear here. Do you think the swim problem was a pacing issue or a physical issue? I read it as a pacing issue :idk: Have you tried going to a pool and just swimming lengths as slow as you can to see how you go? Have you tried other strokes? I know I have never mastered the Freestyle couldn't go a full lap but I can go forever on the sidestroke and backstroke/breastroke. Honestly with my back inflate most of my surface swimming on scuba is nice leisurely on my back chatting with my dive buddies :)

Swimming normally, without mfs was a pacing issue, I think. With mfs I kept slowly sinking, until the snorkel was underwater, when I got a breath of water. That's not exactly a physical issue, but it is a lack of experience with a snorkel issue. (to wit, my first experience with the snorkel had me grabbing the mouthpiece with my front teeth -- I didn't realize the bite pads were where you were supposed to hold it, or even what they were) With more practice I feel I could do the mfs swim without trouble, but that would have held everyone in the class up while I figured it out. It could also be a poor technique issue, where I'm wasting too much energy on something I shouldn't be (with the normal swim). I do not feel that this is a physical fitness issue -- I made it through 10 minutes of treading water without reverting to floating.

When I try the swim portion again, I'm going to go with a non-crawl stroke. Probably side stroke.

Just an update:

I went and did the private with a different instructor and it was a very different experience. It was a total of 4 hours, pool only, 2 hours on the first day were gear setup + all exercises, 2 hours on the 2nd day was "swim around" with no specific exercises from the instructor. That 2nd day helped a ton -- I'm actually excited about learning more now. (and I'm ok'd to do the open water bit of the cert)

That said, I need to work on equalizing my ears. I figured out a couple things: 1/ I don't have any trouble equalizing without a mask because I'm always breathing out (slowly) through my nose as I descend. Air in my sinus cavity pushing against the pressure of the water does wonders for equalizing my ears. I'm tempted to just descend without a mask on, but I wear contacts. 2/ holding myself in a partial yawn as I do the gently blow out thing can somewhat equalize, but sometimes I end up overpressurizing. Just blowing out through my nose alone doesn't work.

sandyhay--I'd like to make you a lil bet.
I bet as you gain experience you will find equalising becomes easier. that's because being relaxed will make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom