My First Catastrophic Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So. You had your reg in your mouth and you were breathing off of it the entire ascent?

Posted via Mobile Device

Aha, so it seems our definitions of CESA does differ somewhat. I was always under the impression that a CESA is an ascent where you fin for sunshine and seagulls on your last breath, all the while exhaling so as not to incur pulmonary barotrauma.

I think Rick's definition (and yours it seems) makes better sense so I'm happy with that.

For what it's worth, your description of events seems totally sensible to me and I would probably have done the same. The only thing I might (I'm using "might" as I have the luxury of hindsight) have done different is to still make a slow ascent but that's only because I've seen an o-ring pop under water and I now know that the cylinder will not lose air too fast for one to be able to make a slow ascent.

I still think you did well, keeping your wits about you and dealing with the situation. Fair play to you.

Yes, there is a definition difference here. CESA as I was taught it, and as my husband was taught to teach it, is a "controlled emergency swimming ascent", and is an ascent WITHOUT gas, done while exhaling and controlling the ascent rate. This is in contrast with an emergency buoyant ascent, which is done without controlling ascent rate. Both are for the diver without gas.

Although I would have wanted my buddies to go with me, I agree that ascending on your own gas was the correct response.

In my opinion, you made a decision, you didn't freeze or panic. The only thing worse then a bad decision is NO decision.

You weighed your options.

Relied on YOUR training and everyone lived to talk about it.

Kudos to you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmmm... hmmm... just for clarity, here are my recreational diving (no deco stops required) ascents:

1. Normal ascent: An ascent without skipping any of the planned stuff you intend to do. This may be a direct ascent, or may include a safety stop and/or Pyle stop, depending on depth/time/gas.

2. Emergency ascents: Ascents where the normal ascent profile is abandoned because of some emergency - low on gas, injury, sickness, environment, equipment problems, etc. Within this group there are three basic variations:

- 2.a. Air sharing ascent

- 2.b. CESA

- 2.c. EBA

If y'all want to define some other "not normal but not one of the above" ascent that's fine... what do you call it and how do you train for it?
I include controlled emergency swimming ascents with gas in the CESA, and I teach the CESA as a breathing ascent, bearing in mind that breathing is inhaling and exhaling, and that if you can't inhale, then breathing's exhaling :)
From an injury avoidance perspective, inhaling's just as good as exhaling, as either means an open airway and avoids overexpansion. Additionally, in most cases being able to inhale will be possible even during an "OOA" CESA because (1) there's still air left when the reasonable person realizes it's getting hard to breathe, looks at the ZERO SPG (or, as in this case, realizes they're losing gas fast) and decides on a CESA, and (2) more air will become available during the ascent as the ambient pressure drops.
Why split hairs when a single, simple, safe procedure covers all the bases between "normal" and EBA?
Rick

I think the point, Rick, is that most of us thought the OP had abandoned his regulator and gone to the surface without using it, and we couldn't understand why.

... thought the OP had abandoned his regulator ... we couldn't understand why.
Right on! I wouldn't have understood that either :)
Rick

So. You had your reg in your mouth and you were breathing off of it the entire ascent?

I kept the reg in my mouth for the ascent and the swim back to the boat. I was still getting air, but the roar of escaping air was beginning to subside. I think it took about a minute to surface and swim back to the boat.

I read on the board about different flow rates from leaks, such as, the low pressure hose, high pressure hose and the o-ring. Since the tank was nearly full, I knew I didn't have much time, but I would get air for a couple of minutes.

The conditions were so benign, the whole episode seemed more like a pool practice, than a failure. I now know I can stay calm and think through an issue.

What caused the "O" ring to blow? Is it because the black reg. knob was not tightened well? If so was that the boat crews fault or the DM who this happened to? I always do my own reg. installs, not matter what, period!

What caused the "O" ring to blow? Is it because the black reg. knob was not tightened well? If so was that the boat crews fault or the DM who this happened to? I always do my own reg. installs, not matter what, period!

or was the o-ring weak and not seated properly?

This is also why I ALWAYS set my gear up. . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom