my first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lazyturtle:
I say stay away from air-integrated. I need to explain why: I REALLY like the idea of a air-integrated computer but so often when someone comes on my boat with a air-integrated computer that doesn't work. .

I have to agree with you. The last two dive trips I went on there were people who had problems with their air integrated computers. The first one just had to wiggle and screw the air integrated sensor part in a little better - while the rest of us swayed back and forth with our tanks hanging on the side and waiting so we wouldn't drift apart. The second trip we all had to wait again while a different guy with an air integrated computer messed with it for several minutes and then finally had to rent a complete setup with guages. I don't remember what type of computer either was.
I love my Suunto Vyper, which is nitrox capable and is conservative.
Scubadiving dot com has the most recent scubalab reports on computers.
good luck. Choco

i really like the air intergated because it will give you your breathing rate and air consuption plus time it out of air with current breathing rate but i also have an extra pressure gage amd depth gage with me at all times just in case it fail during the dive i also carry 2 computers i like over kill but it gives you ideas

Hi. I'm a rec diver who uses a computer.

TheFoggyMask:
So you're a recreational diver using a computer, why? You have no use for it. The only people who might benefit from a computer are those doing lots of repetitive diving at odd depths. At best you'll do what, three dives on one day then go home? Computers serve no purpose underwater, it has nothing to do with "hating technology." You don't need to gadgetize everything. You can take care of yourself perfectly well underwater, and if you can't do that and you need a computer babysitter maybe you should go get trained?

Umm. I'm sorry. Im a big fan of having more information as opposed to less. I can't for one second think why I shouldn't use a computer (along with tables). Its very handy to look up my log data after the dive, as its all right there in the computer's log. I don't think computers are a requirement, but they certainly can't hurt!

TheFoggyMask:
I don't care that no one is swayed, I'm not trying to sway anyone. The employees in dive shops will continue to mislead and misinform people. Then as the diver thinks they become "experienced" they keep passing down this nonsense until it gets to you, and you think it is law. Get a brain.

Ok, here is the point where you start to lose me. Not really sure where you are going with this. Not really sure where you are going with this Law stuff. However, I'm reasonably sure I do in fact have a brain.

TheFoggyMask:
What especially pisses me off is when they tried to do it to me. I was looking for my first gear setup and the toolbox salesman immediately took me over to the computers when I said I was looking for a reg. He then proceeded to rant on about how I would need a nitrox this and that and how I'd probably spend upper hundreds, almost a thousand dollars on an effing computer.

Whoa! Easy there jedi! I can feel the hate welling up in you. Don't give in to the dark side man. Its almost like selling you a computer is not all "he" tried to do. Anyone for counseling?

Lets try and discuss this topic with a tad less venom and a tad more reason. Thanks.

OK Boyz & Girlz, get a grip. The OP, xsports, has asked for some info on a couple of computers. The post didn't ask for the meaning of life, or for spillover from other threads on the Board. Can we be a little more welcoming to a member with 15 posts, and can the curmudgeon stuff???

TheFoggyMask:
So you're a recreational diver using a computer, why? You have no use for it. The only people who might benefit from a computer are those doing lots of repetitive diving at odd depths. At best you'll do what, three dives on one day then go home?

Oddly, we may be on the same page.

I would only recommend a computer to someone who felt that the expense incurred in purchasing a computer was less than than the utility that would be gained by a computer.

Which is to say: don't buy a computer unless you can articulate why you want it. If you are going to spend money on a computer (which it sounds like you have already decided to do), and can afford a nitrox capable computer, go with the nitrox capable computer. The air-only computer has an inherent limitation. If you later decide that doing something that your computer is incapable of doing is important to you, you will have to replace your computer and learn a new one. I think it's more efficient to spend a little extra money now to avoid spending a lot of extra time and money later.

But that's just my experience.

xsports:
so as you can tell am a pretty new diver..Im buying my first computer.I am interested in the pro plus 2 or the Vt3 but im just not advanced enough to know which one to get.Can anyone help me or would even like to share there story?:confused: Thanks so much

In the 1970s I dived for years without a computer ...just a depth guage to start with. Watches then cost more than computers now and budgets were tiny.

Dives were mostly square profile (from the boat to the bottom) and we used air consumption and cold as good guides to time. With a watch added we knew exactly what we were doing. Clearly no computer needed!

More recently I started making business trips to warm places and diving at weekends with commercial operations who provide air and dive marshalls.
I was no longer planning and leading the dive. The typical profile was go down the slope and then work more slowly up again often using the rest of the air between 10 and 20 feet. Then there is a 90 minute lunch pause and another similar dive.

This is pretty hard to track accurately using tables but the dive marshals do all that!
Thats fine if you are happy to spend your dive calculating like mad or simply hand over responsibility. I decided for my relaxation & piece of mind that I needed a computer.
It worked for me.

One tip on selection from a personal pespective. I chose one where I can change the batteries easily.

So xsports enjoy your diving & enjoy this board you (and I) can really learn so much here.

WOW, did this thread ever get deep. I'm not going to get into the pro's and con's of whether to have a computer in the first place. I first got certified in 1969. We didn't even have SPG's back then. Things have changed might over the last 35 years. Some better and some not so great.

Personally I dive with two computers. One air-only on a console and one hoseless/integrated. Why? Because I made the mistake of buying air-only and then decided one day to dive Nitrox. So I got a new computer. Redundency doesn't hurt one bit.

I did have one occasion in Bonaire a couple months ago where my new computer must have lost it's signal or whatever. We were in the later part of the dive at about 25' and I happened to look at my air to see what was left. Well, it was blinking three zero's followed by the PSI sign. "That's neat" I thought. My computer says I don't have any air (nitrox), but here I am breathing. Breathing what? Must be I actually do have gills as I get accused of. Well, I know I get very good air time and everyone was still in the water so I knew I wasn't out of air. A minute or two later I looked down and it was reading 1360 PSI. I never bothered checking with the backup computer. No need. I was breathing something.

So what's all this rambling about? Heck, who knows? My advice would be to get a Nitrox capable computer. Somewhere down the line you'll most likely want to give it a try. You know, trying something new and exciting---just what diving is about.

TheFoggyMask:
There is no reason on the internet, nor is there any accurate information.

Fortunately, there are no sweeping generalizations, either.

I've only done shore dives so far... I'm never at a constant depth. I like the computer. I'd say decide the most you want to spend and find what's available in that price range.

Back
Top Bottom