My first dive call.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaranger

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been a firefighter/ paramedic for some time(over 10 years) but as a rescue diver I just recently became one ( under 3 years). Due to the wide area we cover and the vast number of divers on the fire dept. It boils down to right place at the right time( this comment is not ment to offend to anybody but just a figure of speach I wish no harm on any one.)
The call came in my territory where we cover, a witness white cherrokee in a canal. My Liutentant and I dress out as the rookie who is not a diver drives to the scene. Due to we where so far away about 25 miles away from the nearest hospital. We had many resources at our desposal. We had back up divers ready, another rescue to aid the primary divers and our department helocopter to aid us if need be. We also had two fire engine on seen one had the back up divers the other was the first unit on seen that had no divers.. It was qute a sight to see how much resources not including the police department with their M-16 drawn to take care of the aligators. We found the car due to the oil slicks we conducted our search in murky black water we found no one and our search was very thourough.
All in all it was a good dive just even to put all the traing we receive in to practise. We found no one so we are assuming it was a stolen car or some one dumped it and called( I have seen stranger things) or the body was ejected some how and was far away from the vehicle in this case their would be nothing we could of done our search is limited to the car and several feet around it(our training for rescue not recovery).
I know this is not much of a story to those that have been psd for a while. Its not like a call I was not invovled with that a fellow psd diver saved a 18 year old that was on the bottom of a lake. But it was my first call and I wanted to share it with you.
Well stay safe to all my fellow psd around the world.

You just keep sharing them. All of us can learn from each other’s operations.

It would be a good thing if we were never called but I can’t see that ever happening.

Your statement about being at the right place at the right time is how a PSD team works. You can be at the right place at the wrong time or the wrong place at the wrong time. It all boils down to the right place at the right time in order to give someone a chance at survival.

Good job and keep posting.

Gary D.

Good job!! Sounds like a successful op. Not every op has a "find". It's nice to be in the right place/right time.

Paul

The problem has been most of our cars have drivers and passengers.

In the past 19 weeks we have had 4 separate incident callouts. Three involving motor vehicles and one vessel with 5 going to the coroner.

Lousy stats for this year and summer hasn’t even arrived yet.

Gary D.

Greg D.:
I dont mind jsut finding the car, it make the debreif alot easier :D

Yeah, I hear ya there. We were pulling a car the other day was just salvage, and as were pulling it out, a childs doll floats up into the window. All of our hearts skipped a few beats there for a second.. Evidence became way more there for a minute..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom