My first dive video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is that in the back ground around 2:27...a paddle fish? Nice video!

Paddle fish it is! Apparently they are somewhat of a rare sight in this quarry and you typically have to be in the deep end (100' or lower) but this was shot at around 45'. My dad literally tried to holler for my attention through his reg due to his excitement lol.

We now have them in the NCPDRA quarry so having seen them before I thought that was what it was. Kinda funny that after some buddies and I surfaced and having chats with fellow divers the entire group of divers have seen no Paddle fish the entire day. Later that night while editing the video...we did not see the Paddle fish but the camera sure did!

Cool. The pole looked nice. What was its buoyancy like? Sink or float?

It is actually nice and neutral, more on the slow sink side. We have them attached to ScubaPro retractors (part of the SP dive kit) which are attached to the BC, this way we can drop them from our hands at any time and they will slowly fall away but remain close by.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2015 at 12:12 PM ----------

At 0:52 you can see me drop the pole... I guess it falls a bit faster than I remember. Either way it is a system that worked out real nice in application and in budget.

Nice work!
Think about adding a magenta filter to get rid of the 'greens'. They are about $50 but totally worth it.
Here's a link to my eBook about how to get the most out of your GoPro, written specifically for Scuba Divers:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-underwater-gopro-book/id954826182?mt=11

Hope it helps.
Dive safe.

Pete

Nice video! Looks like you had fun!
I agree with adding a filter. When I started using one it made a drastic difference in the quality of my video. I regret not using it sooner. Now the colors are awesome. If you plan to do more scuba vide definitely check out your options! There are plenty comparison videos on YouTube, (including mine). You can search them all day - LOL. Good luck and keep making fun videos!

The ironic thing is I actually have a filter for blue water. I'm quite literally land locked though so it is useless to me here. I bought is because I definitely wanted the best shots I can once I hit the ocean.

My dad and I really just wanted to make sure we were learning to dive properly, safely and felt comfortable doing it.... the video was just the icing on the cake. The monopoles we used definitely helped make this video a very "hands off" project (except for editing!) so that we could concentrate on what we were doing.

Thanks for the responses guys, a proper video light and filter kit are definitely on my looooong list of things to pick up. Cheers everyone!

nicely done, the camera was nice and solid most of the time. Did you use any software to stabilize the image?

Back
Top Bottom