My first liveaboard ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ill be going to my first ever Liveaboard in a few days and looking forward to it. For those veteran live-aboard divers, any advice, tips or suggestion? It is a 4 day liveaboard to Dry Tortugas.How do you keep busy when not diving? I dont usually get sea sick but should that be a concern?

Thanks and regards,

S H

...5 dives daily, from early morning through night dives, messing with gear.....gearing up...un-gearing....cameras.....don't worry, you will be plenty busy.....and you will look forward to catching little naps inbetween dives, resting up...honestly I've NEVER brought a book or anything else entertainment oriented on any liveaboard I've done....activities on the boat (diving/eating/sleeping/napping/visiting/gear-camera prep/tanning/enjoying the view from the deck) take up all the time......although I guess there are those who feel lost/disoriented if they're not messing with their work-laptop/Blackberry/cell-phone...which to me defeats the point of a vacation. :)

Make sure you have something dry to wear when you are out of the water unless you enjoy diaper rash, this is why people tell you to have enough swim suits.
I've been on a few, it's a blast.

I was on the same liveaboard as H2OGal and JDP, (Hi friends!!!) and their advice is sound. I want to emphasize having enough batteries and media cards. Also, bring your laptop with photo editing software, something easy like Picasa is great. It was wonderful to be able to see my shots at the end of each day. Many of us sat around the salon in the evenings admiring each other's shots. I brought a novel and never even took it out of the bag. I also brought a book about u/w photography and borrowed one from JDP but never did more than just look at the pictures.

On the other hand, a few folks on board had their nose stuck in paperback novels the entire time they were not in the water, including at mealtimes. Heck, they don't weigh much or take up much space so if you're an avid reader, bring 'em.

As others have said, you will live in shorts & tee shirts and no shoes. Most boats collect shoes as you board. Be sure to bring a light coat, even though it’s hot outside, the salon may be a bit cool to some. Lot’s of swim suits, you will be changing after every dive since most boats don’t allow you to be wet any place inside the boat other than going from the dive deck to your cabin. Two things that you will need are sun screen, even if you don’t think you will be in the sun and Woolite, most boats have lines and close pins to dry your clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom