My First Scuba Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for SEAsia, I usually dive in a rash vest and board shorts. BUT, many use 3mm shorties. It never ever gets beyond 28-29 degrees here. at least not so far as I've experienced it.

I agree with goodeatsfan, in SE Asia (Indian Ocean or South China Sea), most people dive from swimming trunks up to 1-3mm neoprene. Only exception may be Bali's offshore islands with frequent upwelling of cold water (19 Celsius on my temp gauge one time) such as at Nusa Dua and Nusa Penida, where a 5mm may come in useful.
Dive safely.

I dive comfortably with a 5mm in Egypt and just got back from Phillipines where the 5mm was still comfortable (28C watertemps). One thing to consider is that most wetsuits compress with time and so offer less insulation, that is especially true of suits with "stretchy" materials...

After a year or two of active diving your 5mm will propably be a 3mm in truth, so I´d vote for a 5mil, before you take it somewhere warm it will propably be used enough to be comfy...

this is my personal opinion. IF I WERE in your shoes, I'd get the 5mm as it suits japanese diving environments. If I were in warmer climates, I wouldn't need a wetsuit anyway. This way, I wouldn't need 2 wetsuits. A 3mm would probably be inadequate for the colder waters of the sea oj japan and in warm tropical climes where the sun is pounding on me, the 3mm would just be an unnecessary insurance, I'd have a 5mm with me anyway just in case.

taliesin58:
I will be diving in south-east asia and also during the summer in temperate water around Japan. Any suggestions?

Please give any opinions you have.

This June, when I went to Okinawa for the weekend, I wore a 5mm. If you pick up a diving magazine in Japan and read about Okinawa, they pretty much suggest 5mm as the "lightest", with the exception being July/August, you *might* be able to go down to a 3mm, but I'd have under-protection/gloves/hood ready to add. Mind you this was outside Naha at the Kerema Islands, so if you're lucky and get to go to Ishigaki or even Yonaguni you might find different conditions. Run over to the Zen Divers forum and ask someone diving in Japan what they're finding.

The Avid is a great BC, I used the same model for several years. I also sold Mares and Dacor gear as an instructor, and foud both makes to be of poor quality. Sherwood is a much more qualitive reg. The NY State Police Dive Team use theS herwood Blizzard, and I like the Maximus. As for the other equipment, I cannot comment, no experience with it.

Nemrod:
Sherwood Avid BCD- 2006 model---prefer back inflate or wing

Since I'm new here I will probably be redirected to another thread but I would like to know the pros and cons of Back inflate since I too am starting to fill out a diving kit starting with the BC.

My son, who is 11, and I just certified OW so if you could please answer for both of us if possible?

Thanks
Greg

One thing you might think about for a wet suit is to buy one with the greatest flexibility for different waters. Buy a 5 mm suit, with a Farmer John bottom and long arms. If arm and leg zippers cost more, don't get them except for the front entry on the top. Then buy a 3 mm short suit to wear over this wet suit. When you wear all of it, you can dive some fairly temperate waters (hood and boots too, and perhaps some gloves). But then you have the various combinations that you can wear alone, such as the Farmer John bottoms (if you want to protect your legs from coral), or just the short suit for the tropical diving.

SeaRat

taliesin58:
Mares V16 Proton Metal Reg.
Sherwood Avid BCD- 2006 model
Aeris Atmos 2 Console
Dacor Brigade Viper Octopus
AERIS Barracuda Ultra Dry Snorkel

I can speak for the AVID and the ATMOS-2 both good solid choices for my money.

Here were my thoughts when I got my AVID:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1142032&postcount=2
Still happy with 188 dives

The ATMOS 2 has been solid my my wife and I.

My biggest concern is getting Dacor and Mares service concurrently for your regulator set. If your LDS does both you're good.

Pete

Thanks again for advice!
This weekend I tried some masks at the LDS and decided to go with the Mares X vision. Does anyone know how easy it is to install the corrective lenses yourself? My eyesight is not terrible, so it is not required immediately. But I do want to experience the most from my dive, so I will probley drop the extra cash to buy the corrective lenses when I have a chance.
The only problem now is still the fins. It is impossible to find anything larger than a size 10 shoe here (same with fins) but I am very hesitant to drop the money on the net because my shoe size is so variable among different makers (size 11 Kennith Cole, size 13 nike, size 14 adidas). Do anyone know where I can get a sizing chart for Mares fins using the exact measurements of my foot to get right size for my fins? I hope to get the best pair I can for around $50 so any recommendations would also be helpful.
I also need to but some hard soled boots because I will be doing mostly beach dives in my area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom