My First Scuba Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opinions are like ************s..... and everyone here has one they love to shove down your throat. Just dive, dive, dive and find out what you need/PREFER.

If I were you for the prices you are looking for I'd get the fins from ebay. Perhaps even the boots. I don't know what shipping would be but you may find a seller in Japan or close by.

JimLap:
If I were you for the prices you are looking for I'd get the fins from ebay. Perhaps even the boots. I don't know what shipping would be but you may find a seller in Japan or close by.

Yeah, again, not only are prices for fins here all around or above MSRP (those that aren't are only $5 or so lower), but again, the size problems.
However, my grandparents decided to send me a christmas present this year (they often forget), so they got me some XL Aeris Velocity fins. I figure they will be fine.

It is hard to take up a new hobby like diving when you are large (not fat, but very tall) and live in the middle-of-nowhere Japan.
I have the same problem with clothes. I haven't bought new pants in two years (I am down to two pairs of nice trousers) because of sizing issues here. And I am in extremely dire need of new shoes. I just have a hard time taking a trip back to the old, familier US just to buy clothes instead of exploring and having wild times in exotic locals around Asia.

tnfireman:
The only piece on your list I can give an opinion on is the Avid, I love mine.
Ray

Thanks.
After doing even more research and hearing from people on here, I am feeling pretty good about the set. I think I can sell most of the stuff here used for a profit if I don't like it after a few more dives.
$1000 is far, far, far, from chump change for me, so I just wanted to make sure I did the best I could with the options available to me.

Thanks for your help everyone!

try to think about ScubaPro thermaltec wetsuit.

taliesin58:
Does anyone know how easy it is to install the corrective lenses yourself?

Not that bad if you have good fingernails. :wink: You just flex in the retaining ring toward the center of the lens by getting a fingernail between the frame and the retaining ring. Then you lift it slightly away from the lens, and it will pop out the tab on the ring that seats into the frame. You do this on all 4 sides, and out it comes. Put in the new lens making sure you get it seated straight (you can see the skirt through the lens - just make sure it's touching all the way around) then pop the retaining ring back on one tab at a time.

taliesin58:
The only problem now is still the fins. It is impossible to find anything larger than a size 10 shoe here (same with fins) but I am very hesitant to drop the money on the net because my shoe size is so variable among different makers (size 11 Kennith Cole, size 13 nike, size 14 adidas). Do anyone know where I can get a sizing chart for Mares fins using the exact measurements of my foot to get right size for my fins? I hope to get the best pair I can for around $50 so any recommendations would also be helpful.
I also need to but some hard soled boots because I will be doing mostly beach dives in my area.

The fin sizing will not be the problem... with hard sole boots, and a size 13 ish... you will want the XL. The hardest thing will be the boots. There is more variation in boot sizes, as for example Bare boots run smaller than a henderson.

If you can't try them on, and end up getting them from us, just call with not only the shoe size, but give us a measurement in inches on your foot length when standing. Then we can compare that to our guys - find someone with a matching foot, and have them try on the particular brand of boot you are after. For example, Joe wears between a 14 and 15... and you know what they say about guys with big feet... they need big shoes.:eyebrow:

Give us a call or shoot a PM if we can help!

Larry

scubatoys:
Not that bad if you have good fingernails. :wink: You just flex in the retaining ring toward the center of the lens by getting a fingernail between the frame and the retaining ring. Then you lift it slightly away from the lens, and it will pop out the tab on the ring that seats into the frame. You do this on all 4 sides, and out it comes. Put in the new lens making sure you get it seated straight (you can see the skirt through the lens - just make sure it's touching all the way around) then pop the retaining ring back on one tab at a time.

The fin sizing will not be the problem... with hard sole boots, and a size 13 ish... you will want the XL. The hardest thing will be the boots. There is more variation in boot sizes, as for example Bare boots run smaller than a henderson.

If you can't try them on, and end up getting them from us, just call with not only the shoe size, but give us a measurement in inches on your foot length when standing. Then we can compare that to our guys - find someone with a matching foot, and have them try on the particular brand of boot you are after. For example, Joe wears between a 14 and 15... and you know what they say about guys with big feet... they need big shoes.:eyebrow:

Give us a call or shoot a PM if we can help!

Larry

Thanks. I will probley order the prescription lenses at a later date.
So far, everything I have gotten has been from ScubaToys and they have been nothing but help. They were able to match or beat (one by much much much more) all the prices I quoted for what I wanted. Actually, one deal seemed too good to be true, but when I got my order, it was exactly as promised. The only problem I experienced is a lack of response to one of my emails. But, as soon as I wrote another after a week, they responded almost instantly. It seems that the internet ate the email, but they still knocked another $30 off my order. Judging from reviews I have read and what people on here have said, I was able to get a solid set of equipment that is good quality and good for a variaty of situations, for a very very good price. So yeah, they have won a customer.

The only things I didn't get from them is the mask and fins, because they were a present from family. They did an internet search for the stuff and ended up getting them at leisurepro, and didn't know about scubatoys's price matching.

Anyway, thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom