My First Sixgill Shark Encounter!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Circling us:
sixgill-swimming-by.jpg

Passing under me:
sixgill-passing-under.jpg

Swimming off:
sixgill-passing-by.jpg

Great stuff UP. I have been looking for them plenty of times with no luck. The first time I saw one I was heading for the chinese migrant wreck at Port Alberni and as I looked down at the sunken logs one of them was moving. Upon closer invenstigation the moving log was a 6' six gill and we swam with it for about 10 minutes. I have only seen one other since.

Awesome! I'm always amazed at the remarkable dive experiences one can have at that dive site. How many people do you suppose have been certified at Alki, or have dove there at least one time?

hiway 99 south seatac west side. these were the guys that had the 'hunting' event "Killfest 2000 - the killenium". It didn't matter what you shot, just kill it and whoever got the most tonnage won. I thought about following that fat :censored: of an owner on a dive and see if he'd count as tonnage.

edited 12 hours later - curiuos why the other half of this post is missing? telling people about a Great dive is against the rules here? It's obvious that dive shops can be mentioned, so just not that one,EH?

this is amazing! the only ones i've ever seen are the ones on animal planet. fantastic creatures. don't think i'll ever get to see one this side of the world though...

Uncle Pug:
<pictures>

Hmmmmm. Looks a lot like your thumb to me... :D

But what a terrific thing to have happen. I'm envious.

R..

hchen:
this is amazing! the only ones i've ever seen are the ones on animal planet. fantastic creatures. don't think i'll ever get to see one this side of the world though...

It's an awsome dive. A 600 ft wall about a 1/2 mile long, currents get moving past it and the sharks just ride the current about 100 ft down. They hug the wall, I never saw one more than a few feet away from it. You drop down from on top outside them and you can swim along with them for a good while. You can get ( and stay) within touching distance easily. Vis was good the day I was there - about 40 -50 ft, not sure if that's normal, but I wouldn't want it much less those fish are big.

The PNW is lucky, I don't think there is any place in the world that these sharks come so close to the surface.

I remember the 1st time I saw one. It was maybe 5 or 6 feet from me. Yep, I was sitting at my desk during Shark Week when they had footage of a 6 gill right there on my TV... :D

Congrats on the sighting. Some pretty cool stuff to see in the waters there, I'd like to make it over & dive some day.

CIBDiving:
It's an awsome dive. A 600 ft wall about a 1/2 mile long... Vis was good the day I was there - about 40 -50 ft, not sure if that's normal, but I wouldn't want it much less those fish are big.
CIBD, you must be talking about Whytecliff.... Alki Cove 2 is a little more sedate than that. :wink: And the viz is nothing like Whytecliff either... in fact when we saw the sixgill it was probably a murky 15' of viz (note the backscatter from the flash lighting up the stuff in the water.)

Great encounter Pug...
I am soooooo jealous!
Someday, someday
Rick :)

Back
Top Bottom