My First Sixgill Shark Encounter!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
I'd like to make it over & dive some day.
Alki Cove 2 in West Seattle is a great dive site. Quick easy access and yet cool stuff to see. Both OE2X and I have boats and can dive anywhere we want but nothing around here beats Cove 2 for a quick afternoon/early evening dive. And even though sixgills are supposed to be a DEEP water dweller... they are sighted at Cove 2 regularly... just not by me until this one. :D

Cove-2.jpg

ZAquaman:
How many people do you suppose have been certified at Alki, or have dove there at least one time?
A lot! With three coves... two of which, while somewhat boring, are perfect for classes and cove 2 having so much to see... I don't get tired of it. But then I always order the exact same thing every time we go out for dinner too. :D

Uncle Pug:
CIBD, you must be talking about Whytecliff.... Alki Cove 2 is a little more sedate than that. :wink: And the viz is nothing like Whytecliff either... in fact when we saw the sixgill it was probably a murky 15' of viz (note the backscatter from the flash lighting up the stuff in the water.)

That could be the name - a 1/2 hour to an hour ESE out of Courtney ( I said camble river by mistake), I can't remember. It almost doesn't break the surface though except for a small island on the west end, lots of sealions and seals on that.

I've been to alki, It's not on our 'must do' sites when you drive up from portland. Did a night dive there about 5 years ago - there was talk of a new dock? or something that would have ruined a lot of the diving. what happened?
Had a sealion or two in the water with us that nite, only saw them but once or twice - you just swam into the murk left behind from them catching bottom fish just outside our lights.

I'd Much rather swim withem in good vis- It's a little unnerving to have a fish swim out of the murk past you and have the head disappear before you can even see the tail! :11: You're one of the lucky ones now. all those divers at alki - so few siteings.

The dock is in the picture above... that is where the passenger ferry lands... and consequently there is an exclusion zone around it. Still plenty to see and interact with. Viz isn't the best but that goes with Puget Sound diving in general. Worse than feeding seals and sea lions is the student bloom on weekends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom