My GoPro 3D setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second light is back-ordered at DRIS. I tinkered with diffuser's today.

Went to Tap Plastics and got 3 diffuser samples, traced the outline of the light on them, and cut disks on the bandsaw:

ready-to-cut.jpg

diffuser-disks.jpg

Picked up a scrap inner tube from a local bike shop and cut a sleeve to fit over the end of the light and diffuser disk:

diffuser-on-light.jpg

Simple and free.

Thanks.

I traded emails with GoPro support & they had no solution---or even much sympathy---for the interference shown in the 3rd picture of my first post. So, while I was out getting lunch, I picked up some stainless steel #10-32 x 3/4" socket cap screws and a set of ball end hex drivers.

socket-cap-screws.jpg

There should be much less "flop" without the extra mount links:

ball-end-driver.jpg

I use a 60 degree beam torch that is just 180 lumens strong. Would those diffusers help any or just dim my torch even more?

I still get a hot spot on close-ups, see the figure below (video screen cap, 1080p @ 30ps, hence the blurry fish). Camera was probably 3 feet from the rock.

vlcsnap-2012-07-16-09h47m23s44.jpg

The more you spread it, the lower the peak intensity. With 180 lumins I'm not sure you'd be happy, but don't have a good feel for lumins/GoPro light sensitivity so take that with a grain of salt. The diffusion material I'm tinkering with should be available & cheap at any hardware store chain so it should be easy to try.

Can't wait to see how the DRIS does with the GoPro - did you ever try removing the reflector? MIke at DRIS just emailed me back about some questions I had, and that's what he recommended for video.

I gave the light/reflector assembly a half hearted tug & it didn't seem inclined to come out, so haven't pursued that option yet. Did Mike say how to remove the reflector? If so, please post or PM & I'll check it out.

Hmmm...I'll try tugging harder...

My assumption is the reflector would need to be replaced with some kind of spacer so everything lines up properly.

It'll be a few day's before I can try...I'm playing music with friends tonight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom