My GoPro 3D setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His words, not mine "I would just unscrew the head, and take the current reflector out"

I tried again tonight, but the reflector/circuit board won't move. I tried wacking it against my palm and prying delicately with a screwdriver.

light-innerds.jpg

Here's a crude comparison of the light projected about 4 feet onto my ceiling. The left image is as delivered, the right is with my simple diffuser. I'd roughly estimate the second to be 45 to 50+ degrees of spread.

diffuser-comparison.jpg

Looks like I'll get in another dive Sunday. Still waiting for the second light.

I can't find anything like that plastic one you are using, I found some fluorescent light acrylic covers that might work but I will take a hit with the lumens.

Yes, "fluorescent light acrylic covers" is exactly what I've been using. Tap plastics conveniently gives away small4"x4" samples.

Sorry, but I weaseled out of today's dive, so no video to share yet. I did, however, open up the front of my DRIS light---it was easy once I knew where to twist.

reflector-removed.jpg

The front lens is sandwiched between two O-rings (see arrows). The reflector diameter is 1 11/32". I'm thinking of replacing it with a cylindrical reflector to reflect light impacting the black sides of the light. This cylinder would have to be 5/8" (or maybe a little shorter) to fit between the lens and ledge near the light.

Removing has quite an effect on the beam---it's angle is constrained by the depth of the housing between the light and lens, but the light is quite uniform. Here's another kitchen table photograph added to my comparison:

diffuser-comparison-2.jpg

The peak intensity is lower.

I want to repeat the caution DRIS issued:
I have people here that removethe reflector but if the light floods than it is
not covered under the warranty.

---------- Post Merged on July 23rd, 2012 at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 22nd, 2012 at 11:23 AM ----------

A little more navel-gazing about the DRIS light...

The problem with the comparison above is that the human eye, and the digital cameras, adjust their effective aperture so it's hard to decide what the best configuration. It occured to me a light meter might help, so I rummaged around in a box and pulled out a simple Gossen Scout 2 and an overly complicated Gossen Luna-Pro digital.

Tonight, I mounted the light and a digital camera on a tripod, 3 feet from my hallway door, centering the light on the door jam. I took a picture and measured the apparent total width of the projected light as-delivered (45"), with the diffuser(>60"), and with the reflector removed (45"). The edge of the projected light circle was fairly sharp for the as-delivered and no-reflector cases but quite soft with the diffuser.

Next, I measured the incident light using each light meter starting at the center and 6", 12" and 18" away from the center. I was unable to get a measurement at 24" in any configuration.

Here is the setup and the light meters:

light-measurement-setup.jpg

measurement-tools.jpg

Here is another photo comparison of the three beams. The top is as-delivered, the center is with the diffuser, and the bottom with the reflector removed:
diffuser-comparison-3.jpg

Finally, here are plots F value versus position as measured with the Scout 2 (set at asa400) and the Luna Pro set in asa 100 24 frame-per-second cine mode:

scout-2-data.jpg

luna-pro-digital-data.jpg

These plots clearly show the "hot spot" in the as-delivered configuration. The diffuser spreads the hot spot, but has a clear rolloff at the edges. Removing the reflector flattens the intensity, but also lowers it quite a bit.

So it all comes down to what is the goal here? If the GoPro has enough light gathering capability then the uniform intensity of the no-reflector case may be best. But going without any reflector troubles me---the light hitting the edge of the light barrel is wasted. I'll experiment with adding reflective material to the inside of the barrel and order up some convex lenses from Edmund's Scientific to try as diffusers.

Hey 3D, thanks for the tip on the diffuser and the link to this thread. I will be following it closely. I just did test vid, (night time above water) and the diffuser made a dramatic difference. (Just need to get to home depot for a new flourecent lamp cover :) I can't post comparison pics since I glued mine in for the time being, but the difference is comparible to the pics you posted above in post # 26. These trustfire TR-J1 lights of are rated @ 1000 lumens, but in reality are around 600. I will post back after tomarrows cavern dive. From what I observed tonight I will be able to get some usable footage with this method. I may try some lower settings on the trustfires for close ups though. (Or remove the reflector) We'll see. Here's a late night bad pic of the TR-J1's back on the Mako rig...
ranlhz.jpg

You're welcome, your setup looks good. With our vis I'm trying to separate my lights more to prevent backscatter. We've had quite the plankton bloom for the last month or so.

I'm looking forward to your cavern footage. I've toured a couple of the local caves with my son's scout troop & that was gnarly enough without adding water & scuba gear. Be safe.

---------- Post Merged at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Here's what I'm diving with tomorrow:

rig-072812.jpg

Similar to the last dive but with the DRIS light and diffuser. Second light due to arrive Monday.

---------- Post Merged on July 29th, 2012 at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 28th, 2012 at 06:44 PM ----------

Well...disappointing results with the diffuser. It was pretty ineffective in water. I need to crack my physics and/or optics text, but believe it's a pesky index of refraction issue. I'm guessing the diffuser needs to be inside the light to work.

The other big problem is with the GoPro's themselves. For the second time the left camera overheated and drained the battery by the end of the dive (the right camera battery was at 2/3). I had no way to recharge the batteries so couldn't take them on my second dive. I've got a query in to GoPro support. Other threads on the subject of overheating or hot GoPros point to firmware and/or memory card issues.

Anyway, here's the video. No editing, too long...I know. Taken at Point Lobos. Poor, 10 to 15 foot, visibility on an overcast day under heavy kelp.

[video=youtube;WkXsE8ANJrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkXsE8ANJrw[/video]

I have found these "120 diffusers" below but have not bought them, it seems they are made to fit a specific LED emitter (CREE), but I guess they could be adapted to others. It might be an alternative to mount them behind the glass.

20mm 120-Degree Optic (5-Pack) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Anyone willing to try these out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom