My GoPro 3D setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well...disappointing results with the diffuser.

Well, between the learning curve on my first crack at video editing, and the power going in and out kicking the chair out from under what was hours of upload time, I am unable to post video at this moment. Unfortunately, despite the diffusers making the GoPro usable in the cavern setting, in certainly isn't the answer in my current setup. They showed promise above water but proved to only tame down the "q beam" characteristics of the torches underwater in the dark. This weekend I will be getting in another dive in a similar setting and will try using the same diffusers without the reflectors. I'll post footage of yesterday's dive and the upcoming one as my skill and Florida power outages allow.

They do carry a lot of focusing lenses on the website, but this one seems to be a diffuser.

They do carry a lot of focusing lenses on the website, but this one seems to be a diffuser.

Well...so it does...the link didn't work the first time I tried it, and when I googled it I ended up looking at the wrong lense. I'll study the dimensions & may give it a try. The price is right.

Thanks

P.S. wow, what a great site...the textured reflectors are another interesting option...

When it comes to underwater video lighting, what looks powerful above water will be very different to what you get below. Seeing sunlight begins to loose colours at around 4m of water and that's a pretty powerful light lol. Caving and such you do need video lights as filters are only good in direct sun and good vis at relatively shallow depths, The hardest thing with wide angle camera is that wide angle lights dont project as far and to properly light up a dark area you would want a couple of 2000 lumen wide angle video lights to start with I think.

Using lower output lights and diffusing them will reduce the output overall and the GoPro may struggle in that type of light. What video modes are you using with your GoPros? In low light you want to use a wide angle and low frame rate to take advantage of using a larger part of the sensor and the lower frame rate will reduce your shutter speeds.

I used 1080p30 wide in my night dive GoPro 3D video wit 2x Sola 500 lights, these are just powerful enough to light the frame as long as your within a couple of meters of your subject. For further distances you'd be wanting something equivalent to the Sola 1200's or 2000's for best results. There may be other brands that provide good output with very wide even beams but I don't know of any myself that are cheaper then the Solas but perform better.

When it comes to underwater video lighting, what looks powerful above water will be very different to what you get below. Seeing sunlight begins to loose colours at around 4m of water and that's a pretty powerful light lol. Caving and such you do need video lights as filters are only good in direct sun and good vis at relatively shallow depths, The hardest thing with wide angle camera is that wide angle lights dont project as far and to properly light up a dark area you would want a couple of 2000 lumen wide angle video lights to start with I think.

Using lower output lights and diffusing them will reduce the output overall and the GoPro may struggle in that type of light. What video modes are you using with your GoPros? In low light you want to use a wide angle and low frame rate to take advantage of using a larger part of the sensor and the lower frame rate will reduce your shutter speeds.

I used 1080p30 wide in my night dive GoPro 3D video wit 2x Sola 500 lights, these are just powerful enough to light the frame as long as your within a couple of meters of your subject. For further distances you'd be wanting something equivalent to the Sola 1200's or 2000's for best results. There may be other brands that provide good output with very wide even beams but I don't know of any myself that are cheaper then the Solas but perform better.

I'm getting high quality video with my GoPro on the factory default settings. I also feel I am getting adiquate light (for the time being) from just the two Trustfire TR-J1s @ about 1200-1300 lumen total. Just gotta find the right the right way to spread it.

Well, after a successful edit of this video, but two unsuccessful uploads, I am just going to post the whole vid. Do yourself a favor and skip to 4:00. The diffusers made a big difference (believe it or not) but just couldn't combat the inherent characteristics of the torches.
http://youtu.be/obsVtmpINSA

Last edited:
Would a reflector, such as the one below, do any good when used with a diffuser?

Impact Floodlight Reflector - 5" 402603 B&H Photo Video

Haven't looked at that one, but this looks interesting:

Impact Strobros Beauty Dish Reflector for On-Camera Flash

My main concern with either is how they'll behave underwater. My rig has to be dragged through kelp.

---------- Post Merged at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Well, after a successful edit of this video, but two unsuccessful uploads, I am just going to post the whole vid. Do yourself a favor and skip to 4:00. The diffusers made a big difference (believe it or not) but just couldn't combat the inherent characteristics of the torches.
GOPR0011 - YouTube

Neat. I was imagining colorful crystal pallaces with stalactites and stalagmites. Separating the lights from the camera will help with the back scatter. Is that fresh water or salt?

---------- Post Merged at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:38 PM ----------

thanks for the vid! Has anyone tried it with the reflectors removed and no diffusers?

Not underwater yet.

Neat. I was imagining colorful crystal pallaces with stalactites and stalagmites. Separating the lights from the camera will help with the back scatter. Is that fresh water or salt?

It's fresh. The grate you see @ 4:00 is covering the cave and source of all the water there. And yes, I'm coming to the realization that I may need to deviate from Mako's design on this rig. I think the lights may just be to damn close. (amongst other things)

EDIT: While it's nice to have one hand free, after diving with it I'm not sure about the whole pistol grip thing now. It might just be easier to edit film later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom