"My" impressions regarding switching to DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you need to dive tropics with a backplate and a wing?
BC's are much lighter.

My wife and I went to little cayman with 2 full sets of gear, cloths, my DLSR and her P&S.
All with in the 65 lbs per person weight limits. We also had a laptop and other stuff.

I'm pretty sure my Oxycheq 18lbs lift wing and stripped-down ally travel plate (not yet delivered, tbh) will beat most BCs hands down on weight. Zeeman's rig is a similar design to mine.

Most of the guys I know out here who dive with a backplate / wing set-up do it because they prefer it, not out of real "need".

Also we only got 55lbs to your 65 flight allowance travelling within the Philippines. Sucks to be us, hey? :)

I'm pretty sure my Oxycheq 18lbs lift wing and stripped-down ally travel plate (not yet delivered, tbh) will beat most BCs hands down on weight. Zeeman's rig is a similar design to mine.

Most of the guys I know out here who dive with a backplate / wing set-up do it because they prefer it, not out of real "need".

Also we only got 55lbs to your 65 flight allowance travelling within the Philippines. Sucks to be us, hey? :)
but you got friends to split the "excess":D

We only get 44lbs :) Think light, Everyone!!

We only get 44lbs :) Think light, Everyone!!

That's 55lbs including carry-on! I managed to get my camera rucksack up to 40lbs on the return trip through creative packing. Standing for 10 minutes pretending it weighed a maximum of 11lbs whilst checking-in (so that they wouldn't weigh it and check) was not easy...

Zee,

I or one of the other HKers can get you a sigma 50mm macro for $260 - 270 if that helps.

Also, any chance of posting / emailing me the macro-shots that were taken by your "dive buddy" on that trip?

You, know, the guy whose flat you stayed at, who got you drunk and sold you loads of underwater camera equipment? C'mon, you remember, the guy who chucked a woody diopter on the port to help fill the frame? Y'know, the silly bugger who managed to change his 100mm macro to Manual focus on the same dive? You know who I'm talking about...me.:D

Edit, I do like this one: -

orangepymysm.jpg

and then you had to go spoil it with a snap of Chip...

chipstersm.jpg

:shakehead:

Why yes, and thanks BTW - I love the gear - I.. erm.. aslo happen to have a Woodys diopter sitting on my port. I seem to have forgotten to take it off and leave it in Macau...

So, if you can wait, I'll post it along with the 4x that I'll find in the US? anyway, I'll email you some RAW files, some of those shots were, like, radical man! :)

Z...

Why do you need to dive tropics with a backplate and a wing?
BC's are much lighter.

It's not about "need", it's about "want". I think my BPW is more comfortable, and when out of water, it's less painful to carry. Also, I need NO weight with my current setup if I dive board shorts and a rash shirt. I need 1lbs with a 2/3mm wetsuit.

Regardless, my Zeagle scout BC that I used previously was perhaps 1lbs lighter than my BPW setup, and my weight limit for flying to PI was 44lbs (55 with carry on). In fact, on one flights, it was actually 33lbs (44 with carry on)...

That is pretty close to what all my camera gear weighs!!!

Z...

add 8 more lenses, 2 more strobes, an HD video setup and lights to your list and stop whining about weight..

:D

Why yes, and thanks BTW - I love the gear - I.. erm.. aslo happen to have a Woodys diopter sitting on my port. I seem to have forgotten to take it off and leave it in Macau...

So, if you can wait, I'll post it along with the 4x that I'll find in the US? anyway, I'll email you some RAW files, some of those shots were, like, radical man! :)

Z...

That would be just like, wow, man. Awesome, even.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom