My irritating talk with Cunard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I go I take My Z-knife and pack it with my Transpak harness.
I add several extra clips,2 dive reels,and odds & ends.(the more metal parts the better)
Then I Place my Primary & backup light batteries along the sides in zip-lock bags.
Last but not least,I bring plenty of soft weights.
They attract the attn. of the scanners,and REALLY pisses em off at the Pursers desk,
Once they see those they get so steamed that they don't look through every piece.
This sort of sensory overload works pretty well for bringing alcohol back onboard as well. Just be sure to take it out of those colored bags,and they get so busy looking at everything that they often don't notice the bottles.
(especially if you wrap your weight belt around & across it)

we just got back from a cruise last weekend and..

take a z-knife (as everyone else has said). we had no problem with them at all.
Ship security did have an issue with our save a dive kit- scuba tool and cresent wrench were the culprits. After explaining what they were for, the boss asked to see our C-cards since we said we were divers. once he saw them he appologized for the issue and said it wouldn't be a problem again. He was right, no more issues arose at security.

As a side note, that was the only time we showed our c-cards all week. Ship security cares we're certified, but not the dive-ops!

nucem:
Get a pair of paramedic sissors for about $3, they will cut almost anything. You also have the option on keeping it in your BC pocket and not tell anyone.

I totally agree with this post. (except most EMS shears are about $6-$8... but who's counting. :wink: LOL) EMS shears will literally cut a penny in half. They'll cut anything. I don't think they'd take scissors away from you, would they?

erparamedic:
I don't think they'd take scissors away from you, would they?

Notunless you are a little old granny with knitting in your bag. Then you are a dangerous terrorist and you will find your name on the "no cruise" list, and you will be ushered out quickly while the police are called. Just in case.

Not trying to barge in on your thread but I recommend Prodivers in St Kitts. I have dove with the owner many times real nice guy and a great diver.
Back to your post I would be quite aggravated that the lady you talked to told you it was ok just to please you but when you asked for the letter it was a different story.

I don't know what all this hooplah is about not being able to bring a dive knife with you on a cruise ship. I sailed with Royal Caribbean to the bahamas and brought along my very sizeable dive knife. However the knife was kept by security while it was on board, and when I went ashore I merely checked it out as I departed the gangway. Upon reboarding i checked it back in, and they had it waiting for me when I departed the ship back in Port Canaveral.

I haven't carried a knife in ages (entanglement is rarely an issue here) but I do carry shears. Dive shears should be acceptable (heck, they aren't pointed and are pretty dull).

A cruise line that has diving as one of its activities should certainly have someone on staff who can address the issue intelligently.

I've done a dozen cruises with diving. I carry shears, but not a knife. I know I can get a knife aboard in luggage because I like to sit on deck and whittle. I also bring a reasonable collection of basic tools ... in luggage. The problem with sneaking a knife aboard in luggage is that while luggage is not scanned when it is put aboard, when you return to the ship after a port call, you must go through a metal detector and must have your carry-on scanned. If you are really serious about wanting a knife, there are plenty in the dining room. BTW: While I recommend against bringing a dive knife on a cruise, I highly recommend bringing your own coffee cup. The little tiny ones they provide require too many refills.

Tom Winters:
The kind of sanitized diving you'll get on a cruise ship, you wouldn't need any kind of cutting doodad anyway.

i agree, but the line cutters would be his "woobie" aka security blanket.

I think shears might get confiscated , but the line cutters (z-knife) will not.

airlines confiscate scissors, too. the line cutters have a safety on them, and you might have a hell of a time just trying to cut off a finger if you were an actual terrorist.

i do like O2's suggestion about the dinning room knife:thumbs_up:

u can also take a coke can, split in two for each dive, and use either half for a razor blade of sorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom