My letter to the industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I want to take a few minutes and put down some thoughts regarding the petition campaign and the SDRG.
As you are aware, I was/am an ardent supporter of a new venue to help increase the viability of the dive industry and eagerly jumped aboard with my support. Make no mistake, beyond any reasonable definition I am convinced that DEMA has failed, as a marketing association for the industry and the trade show. We need to be fair however and acknowledge that they have done so with complicity within the industry.
Much as we expected, DEMA chooses to conduct a smear campaign against you and those that support the petition. No surprise there.
I, as an individual find myself frequently enjoying battles like this, it satisfies my desire to be involved and is an exercise in tactics that keeps our mind nimble. I feel it is a moral imperative to speak clearly and act decisively when made aware the basic tenants of right and wrong are being ignored. I have taken to heart the admonishment of Burke that “The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing.”
The petition has grabbed the attention of the industry; we can’t afford to squander it.
Over the last few weeks I have been heavily invested in talking with dive stores and instructors, they ARE the foundation upon we all rest.
· The majority of those I have spoken with believe that as an industry we will collapse, no escape. Some feel this is the end, others that we are simply going thru a much needed forest fire so new growth can prosper. Those in the first camp are simply going thru the motions while looking for new/other opportunity outside our industry while those in the second have abandoned or put on autopilot the old business model while they develop their “plan b” within the dive industry. For the second camp the only desire for the near term is survival until industry recovery starts to take place. The first camp wants off the ride. Either way we are a standstill during a time when we can ill afford to be.
· When the subject of who will continue to fill the pipeline with new divers or keeping certified divers diving comes up, there is a shocking lack of a clear cut plan. Some feel the independents’ will step to the plate, others feel strongly that won’t happen. Regardless there is universal acceptance that there will be fewer divers.
· Retailers hate our guts, by and large they blame the industry woes on the equipment manufs. They feel lied to and betrayed.
I feel strongly that we need to focus our efforts on the SDRG and retailer support. NOTHING is as critical to our industry as this. The industry will no question be different in 5 years, the traditional distribution channels for equipment and education will barely resemble those we are familiar with. This isn’t a bad thing, it just is. However the transition must be somewhat “managed” if we are to get to that point. Beyond just supporting an “industry” ongoing diving activity supports public awareness of diving, environmental evangelism and the incubation of our future instructors. A “collapse” during our transition will effectively halt that transition and make diving a non starter compared to even the anemic “industry” we have today. Destruction is assured, we need to be practical like a farmer with our fields, deciding which to fallow, which to plant and which to burn.
The season of 2010 will be a deal breaker for many, retailers and others. Those that survive this winter will have ZERO fat or reserves. Given the complexity and shifting nature of consumer expectations and reduced margins at retail the “new normal or reduced diver volume will finish the job next summer as surely as a strong wind helping a California wild fire.
Marketing efforts within our industry have been focused on the travelling diver, the perception (and yes, research as well) being that the majority of divers become divers for travel. While that can and should not be disregarded we also KNOW beyond any question that local divers are committed divers. Shops (and clubs) that have strong local diving activities and opportunities are and always have been the shining example. With a strong local diving participation, travel and expedition diving becomes a natural spin off. Equipment and training sales increase.
To survive our industry transition we need local diving to rock 2010. We need to declare 2010 as the year of the LOCAL DIVE EXPEDITION. We enlist training agency cooperation and develop specialties to support the effort, use social media (Online forums, facebook, twitter, etc) as well as traditional dive media (magazines) to promote. We put in place the “travelling road show” for the consumer that includes demo dives, educational activities, entertainment and food. A dive site clean-up and environmental outreach is a integral component with a good draw(for divers and local media as well). PRIZES and free stuff as well. Offer a discover scuba class and snorkeling for kids. Get them out there! We CAN NOT sit at home or expect our retailers to be successful if we stick to a Monday-Friday business hour schedule while the retailer bears the entire burden. Everybody must be engaged, retailers, reps, company employees and even independent instructors. We need to be where our money is, at the waters edge with divers and those who want to be divers. This will give divers a reason to get wet, a reason to reconsider local diving, to contemplate a staycation filled with wonderful underwater adventures. Sinking some tanks and ships would be a welcome bonus.
Now back to the petition and DEMA. Really does it matter? We have a lot to do in 6 months, but it sure isn’t impossible. Best case is they decide to assist, worst case they remain part of the problem.
The point has been made, that they choose to attack those that care enough to lend voice to their concerns speaks volumes.
Yours in diving,

--
Chris Richardson
EDGE Scuba
404-579-7631

nice.

What is SDRG?

Scuba Diving Resource Group, came about in the early 90's and kinda went away. The SDRG developed the responsible Diver program and also had industry forums on Nitrox that ultimately greatly assisted in the industry acceptance(at the time the industry once again was underestimating the intelligence of our divers, it was generally felt that we couldn't handle Nitrox.)

Thanks Chris, that needed saying, there are some great ideas there (especially concerning local diving).

Interesting read.

I feel your anger, frustration and betrayal here.

Chris and I have had this discussion before. But I think I should repeat it here:

Manufacturers:
Eliminate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). This is protectionism in an economy that can't (or won't) support it.
Reduce or eliminate New Dealer minimum orders.
Attend Local/Regional Shows.
Create Dive days for your gear.
Enable or facilitate Internet ordering.
Enable Drop Shipments.
Evaluate the effectiveness of your reps.
Market aggressively, even in non-diving venues.

Dive Shops:
Stop using instruction as a loss leader. It MUST become a real money maker for you to survive.
Stop using air fills as a loss leader. Look to Fill Express for a great way to market this.
Stop blaming anyone BUT YOURSELF for mediocre business.
Match Internet pricing. Beat Internet service. Create Internet FUN!
Create a club, sponsor a Venture Crew, ANYTHING to get bodies coming in the door!
Sponsor give aways. Promote dive parties for birthdays and the like!
Market aggressively, even in non-diving venues.

To survive our industry transition we need local diving to rock 2010. We need to declare 2010 as the year of the LOCAL DIVE EXPEDITION. We enlist training agency cooperation and develop specialties to support the effort, use social media (Online forums, facebook, twitter, etc) as well as traditional dive media (magazines) to promote. We put in place the “travelling road show” for the consumer that includes demo dives, educational activities, entertainment and food. A dive site clean-up and environmental outreach is a integral component with a good draw(for divers and local media as well). PRIZES and free stuff as well. Offer a discover scuba class and snorkeling for kids. Get them out there! We CAN NOT sit at home or expect our retailers to be successful if we stick to a Monday-Friday business hour schedule while the retailer bears the entire burden. Everybody must be engaged, retailers, reps, company employees and even independent instructors. We need to be where our money is, at the waters edge with divers and those who want to be divers. This will give divers a reason to get wet, a reason to reconsider local diving, to contemplate a staycation filled with wonderful underwater adventures. Sinking some tanks and ships would be a welcome bonus.

--
Chris Richardson
EDGE Scuba
404-579-7631

As a diver who has 100 plus dives so far this year, with 94 of them being local ones here in the Great Lakes, I think this is really a step in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom