My Potential Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnVranesevich once bubbled...
Greetings:

Well, I'm about to blow a few thousand bucks. Hey, the hell, it's only money, right?

I'm recently certified, but have spent over a year reading these forums, dive magazines, and books on the subject. So, I know just enough to be dangerous to myself and all of those submerged around me.

I do know that I absolutely despise the idea of rental gear, and want all of my own stuff ASAP. I like the idea of having my own configuration, that I know won't change unless I'm the one that changes it. I also like to know that I'm the one responsible for it, and know it's history, etc. etc.

So, here's what I'm looking at buying. I've read people's advice on gear, etc. etc. but want to make sure that everything that I have chosen will play nice together, etc. etc.

I already have my skin, wet suite (3:2) and fins (full fin with vents, kind of a combo full + split fin, very nice), mask and snorkel. Have dove with them all and am happy.

Here's the stuff that I'm looking to buy:

1. Suunto Vytec dive computer with wireless air integration
2. Atomic B2 Regulator
3. 2 80cuFt Aluminum Tanks (brushed alum in color)
4. Ocean Master Beta Titanium Package (Dive Knife)
5. Aqua Lung Fusion BC

I'll have my emergency air supply integrated into the low inflation for the BC, so in case of an OOA, I'd donate my primary regulator to my buddy, and breath off of it. It was something that I got to practice in class, as it's the setup that all of the instructors at the LDS use. Having an octopus is really just an unnecessary extra hose, and piece of crap attached to you, I think. Seems to be the opinion of all of my instructors, too (who all have several thousand dives under their belts)

So, I will only have 2 hoses in my set up, one really short one leading to the BC, and then the one going to my regulator. That really appeals to me....

A couple of points:

1) What's a Aqualung Fusion? I've never heard of this BCD. Are you sure that's what it's called? Aqualung did have something called a Fusion at one point but I think it was a computer.

2) Personally I'm not a fan of the airsource as an octopus. I used something like it for many years too but I really prefer the bungie octo. I understand that you're trying to keep it simple but this is one simplification that can potentially bite you.

3) I'll bring my vote out in favour of your choice of the tank (be it steel or AL) that gives you the best natural trim. With a 3mm wetsuit you'll only need a few kg of weight even with an AL tank so I don't think this is the reason to avoid it. Steel tanks do affect your trim so this is something to try in the pool before you choose. Probably with a steel Faber like the ones previously mentioned, you won't need *any* weights with your 3mm suit (at least I don't) or at most a kg or so. This is really a call you have to make based on comfort.

R..

Greetings:

Well, right now my weight belt is sporting 14 lbs for saltwater dives :wacko: So, maybe the steel tanks would be a bit of help for me then.

I'm a very boyant person, hahaha.

As for some of your earlier comments...

The Atomic regulators are available in DIN. There is a conversion package that Atomic makes (NOT an adaptor - this changes it into a DIN reg) which your shop would likely have in stock and be ale to change immediatly when you purchase it. The plus side of this also is that you get the old yoke which can be used as a DIN to yoke convertor for when you use other tanks.

If streamlining is a major concern for you (which is what it sounds like from you choice of an Air2 and hoseless AI) you might want to consider a back-inflate BC like the extremely streamlined SeaQuest Balance, AquaLung Malibu, or, for a larger BC the SeaQuest ProQD+. The benefits of a back-inflate BC are numerous, from the streamlining, to the better body position it affords you in the water, and the reduced bulk for travel purposes. You get similar body position characteristics to those of using a backplate and wings.

If you have your heart set on using an Air2, seriously consider the Atomic SS1, probably the only Air2 that I have seen that performs as well as a primary reg.

Good luck, and enjoy your new gear!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
That's got to be dangerous. Someone's bound to end up monitoring their deco bottle contents instead of backgas and go OOA. Strokes happen.

AI for backgas with backup SPG is fine, but AI on your slung tanks? Does it measure your argon contents as well? :rolleyes:

It's for those of us a Ginnie (overrun by local yokels who have no clue why you just left a perfectly good tank here), we can monitor our o2 to see if anyone's playing with it while we're 2000 ft back :)

Seriously though, your stage SPGs are closer to your face than your computer... doesn't make much sense to me, I just report what I see.

Ben... also...

OneBrightGator once bubbled...
Seriously though, your stage SPGs are closer to your face than your computer... doesn't make much sense to me, I just report what I see.

Ben... also...
Exactly - why put a transmitter on it... unless... OMG - it doesn't calculate for you how many minutes you have left on a stage bottle at that depth before you run out of gas does it?!?

Scubaroo once bubbled...
That's got to be dangerous. Someone's bound to end up monitoring their deco bottle contents instead of backgas and go OOA. Strokes happen.

AI for backgas with backup SPG is fine, but AI on your slung tanks? Does it measure your argon contents as well? :rolleyes:

I know! I know!

The solution to the problem is to COLOR CODE the transmiter units!

Eh? What da y think? THEN it would be safe!

(Ya know, I'll get a good laugh out a this if I find out they come color coded from the factory already... :wacko: )

John,
Seriously consider, HOW, you are going to dive. I've been diving just over four years and have a config very similiar to what you describe. Apeks reg, Sea Quest BC w/air source, AL80 tanks, and gauges/no computer. I have lived and have done all my diving in tropic or sub-tropic locals.
Regulators. I dive an Apeks but have some friends that dive far more than myself with Atomics and they are very happy with them.
BC. Can't comment on the Aqualung. I seriously considered a back inflation bc and used a couple different ones before deciding on my traditional jacket. An awful lot comes down to conditions that you will be diving in. I probably spend 60-70% of my dives in a rash guard and board shorts. I like the comfy jacket. I haven't got a dry suit or heavy wet suit between me and a back plate. Secondly, I frequently find myself buddied with visitors or guests. I know that, god forbid, if they need to help me the jacket is more likely to put me in a heads up position on the surface. Plus, its got plenty of pockets for those old bottles, my tiny writing slate, etc.

The Air source or Air2. Hmmm, this was a tuff one. I decidedly disliked the conventional rigs. Same probs you mentioned. Given the option, I might have gone for the bungeed 2nd/ breath the long hose. I chose the alternate inflator airsource. Mind you, I don't do overheads or deco. If we ever encounter an OOA emergency it's going to be a direct trip to the surface AND my bc has a second right shoulder dump valve, plus the trim valve on the alt/inflator. It's a hand full, practice if you plan to go this route. Keep contact with your buddy, breath of your inflator, while venting, and monitoring depth, it's not easy but I don't think the trad rig is either.

AL80s. Well, it sounds like anyone diving cold water or tech is sold on Steel. And I don't blame them. But if you live in a super humid climate and or dive warm water I don't see aluminum as any sort of negative. They are easier to keep maintained and I use at 6'6" and 250lbs., 6-8 lbs summer, 12-14 winter with a 3/5mm. Plus, with AL there is no need to worry about DIN valves. Your regs can be taken anywhere on holiday and you don't have to search tech bb's for decent DIN plugs to keep them from getting dented in transport. Pretty universal stuff.

I haven't purchased a computer. I wanted one but couldn't afford it straight off. I've found I pay less and less attention to the gauges. They have gone from time consuming to just confirming what I already know. The only reason I might still go for a computer would be for less conservative bottom times. BUT, then I would need some BIIIIIGGGG steel tanks.
I'm happy with what I have but would also change a few things. Especially if I went, Tech, wreck, or deco.
For what I do. Dive on holiday and with friends when they're in town. I might only go to breathing the long hose and a bungeed 2nd.
K.I.S.S.
FWIW

dc4bs once bubbled...

I know! I know!

The solution to the problem is to COLOR CODE the transmiter units!

Eh? What da y think? THEN it would be safe!

(Ya know, I'll get a good laugh out a this if I find out they come color coded from the factory already... :wacko: )

Excellent idea. You an colour code the transmitters with bands of tape. Red, Green, Blue for travel mix, Red, Blue, Green for bottom mix and Blue, Red, Green for deco mix. Then if you use all Poseidon regulators you can band the regulators with the same colours of tape so you know which regulator corresponds to which transmitter. Kind of like the resistors you see in electronic devices..... LOL

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom