My Review of the NiTek Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Logan1891

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought I would give some of my observations about this computer. I bought the NiTek Q because I would like to eventually move into Tech diving and I wanted a computer that could be upgraded as needed. While testing this computer, I ran it alongside my Mares Puck Air console computer for comparison. This NiTek is the V2 basic model which is identified by the red plug on the rear of the case which seals the USB port. This review is not designed to be an explanation of the computer and all of its features. For that you can refer to the DiveRite website. This is just a review from one diver’s perspective.

Case

The computer is housed in a mil spec aluminum case which looks and feels very solid. However, I have noticed that moving the computer to my wrist, as opposed to a console, makes it a ding magnet. The case is black and picks up scratches pretty easily. I have already picked up several visible scratches on the edge of the case surrounding the glass. I purchased a Zagg shield and placed it on the glass. So far, the glass is free from scratches and dings. I would highly recommend this in order to protect the glass. The computer is also low profile which I like.

Strap

This model came with the elastic wrist strap. It is a good quality strap that is easily adjusted. However, I notice that I have to cinch it up a bit at depth. The strap has some depth compensating ability as it is elastic, but it will need a little adjustment when taken deep.

Display

Prior to running this computer I was using a Mares Puck Air console. The move to the Q was like night and day. This display is very easy to read and bright. There are 10 brightness settings which are easily adjusted to the diver’s preference. However, the display can get washed out by bright sunlight. This happens on shallow dives, I have found that this can be remedied by rotating the computer toward the inside of the wrist and reading it at a perpendicular angle to the sun.
All of the information on the display is easy to read and understand. All necessary data is displayed on the primary screen so there is no need to switch to the secondary screen unless you want to see the water temp or compass (if equipped with the upgrade). The primary screen with display, current depth, dive time, remaining NDL, max depth, any decompression obligations with total ascent time, current PPO2 level, N2 and 02 load graphs as well as 02 and He percentages.
This computer has several different alarms and indicators. It is important to note that all of these alarms (ascent, PPo2, deco etc.) are visual and not audible. This computer will not beep or vibrate or do anything to remind you to look at it as many recreational computers will do. The Q will alert you to a number of conditions if you are looking at it. But honestly, if you need to be reminded to look at your computer/bottom timer/SPG, then you probably should be playing badminton and not diving (my opinion).

Programming

Simple. The computer is equipped with two buttons or slides. Setting your gas mixes or any other feature is quick and easy. The computer has a number of settings that are user adjustable such as PP02 limit, max depth alarm, gradient factor presets just to name a few. Refer to the Dive Rite website for a complete description. The point is, all of the programming is easy, I was able to set up the computer out of the box without having to read the instructions.
The basic model allows for two gas mixtures. Both of these mixes will be air or nitrox, programming He will require the trimix upgrade. The basic model allows for O2 percentages of 21% to 99%.

Gradient Factors

The Q has three presets that determine how conservative the computer will run for deco or no deco diving. These settings are pre-programed gradient factors for the Buhlman algorithm. The most liberal setting is 75/95 (cons 0), the next setting is 40/100 (cons 1) and the most conservative setting is 30/75 (cons 2). A software upgrade enabling custom gradients can be purchased if the presets do not meet your needs. I have been running this computer in cons 1 or GF 40/100. This setting matches my Mares Puck Air (RGBM) almost exactly for the first dive. However, on the second dive the Q gives me anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes more NDL over the Mares computer. If I run the Q in cons 2 or GF 30/75, it is a little too conservative and will go into deco long before the Mares on both dives. This is my only real gripe about the Q. It seems the gradients are on both ends of the spectrum, either really conservative or really liberal.

Log Book

Sparse. The log book feature records date, max depth and dive time. That’s all. If you are looking for a log book that records a lot of detailed information about your dive then this might be a disappointment. There is a log book upgrade which I do not have. I believe this allows you to download your dives from the computer to the workbench software. Personally, I don’t see the point of this if all the computer is capturing is date, depth and time. There is also a profile feature which allows you to view a graphic profile of your dive.

Battery

The battery is charged with a USB cable. There is a removable plug on the rear of the computer which exposes the USB port. The Q will detect when the plug has been removed and give you a reminder screen to replace the plug after unplugging the computer from a power source. The battery is not user replaceable, at least as far as I can tell.

Summary

Overall I really like this computer. It was designed for divers like me who are stuck for the time being in recreational diving but plan on moving into technical diving in the future. The computer works great as a rec computer in basic mode and can be upgraded to full 7 gas trimix when you are ready for tech/trimix diving. It is true that the Q does not have all of the features of the more expensive technical dive computers. It’s really a personal choice deciding how many features you really need/want in a computer balanced against what you want to spend. I think the Q is a great choice for divers who want a computer that will do everything you need for recreational NDL diving and can be upgraded as you progress. This saves you from having to buy a second computer for tech diving because your first computer can no longer keep up.

I have included two screen shots using the Q to give an idea of what the computer looks like in dive mode. The first pic is a shot of the computer while diving within the NDL. In the second pic, the computer has just switched over into deco. The bar graph on the right side represents the N2 load while the graph on the left represents O2 limit. It should be noted that these were two different dives.

q.jpg

Q2.jpg

Thanks for the nice review. Can I ask you what kind of display it uses?

OLED.

To the OP, thnk you for taking the time to write up your impressions. A note re the log book, I have a Heinrichs Weikamp Frog, the dive log information on the computer its self is sparse but once downloaded, I use Mac Dive, it shows the dives in much more detail, water temps, average depths, graphs of depths during the dive etc etc. It my be worth getting some software and downloading your dives just too see. In my experience regardless of what a product is made of or coated with if used for diving it will scratch, chip, pick up dents etc unfortunately unavoidable. I'm very careful with my gear and often see a new scratch and think how the hell did I do that, after the first scratch I get over it, its like whew now thats over I can stop worrying about it lol.

It my be worth getting some software and downloading your dives just too see.

You might be right. But I downloaded the free version of the workbench software which includes the log book template. Workbench is the Dive Rite interface program. It allows you to program the Q via computer, download dives, cut deco tables etc. The information in the log book template is just as sparse as the computer. I will have to contact Dive Rite to see if there is anything additional with the log book upgrade

It my be worth getting some software and downloading your dives just too see.

You might be right. But I downloaded the free version of the workbench software which includes the log book template. Workbench is the Dive Rite interface program. It allows you to program the Q via computer, download dives, cut deco tables etc. The information in the log book template is just as sparse as the computer. I will have to contact Dive Rite to see if there is anything additional with the log book upgrade

Good idea. Perhaps you could post this over on DiveRites forum.

I exchanged some emails with the good people at Dive Rite today. I was correct, the logbook upgrade allows you to upload the information which is displayed on the Q log book. The only additional information is the dive name which is added manually. Apparently you can also view your profiles.

The manual reads "Workbench dive software allows the Q diver to perform dive planning on either a PC or MAC. An optional upgrade to the Workbench Logbook allows you to upload dive data using a USB interface cable and view dive profiles"

I was informed that future upgrades to the workbench software and logbook are in the works.

Nice review. I have had my Q for Over a year now. I like it. I did change out the strap to the DR bungee mount. Much nicer IMO.

Question for you, have you got the workbench software to actually work? I can not get mine to work on Windows 7.

I didnt have a problem with the workbench software. I am also running Windows 7. Dive Rite sent me a link to a new beta version of the workbench. It took me a couple of times to successfully install it. It has an upgrade to the firmware for the Q. I am now running version 2.0.5 and I'm not exactly sure what that does. I am told it will allow me to upgrade the computer with the unlocks remotely. The link for the beta is included, maybe you will have an easier time with it than the original. I would call Dive Rite with any questions before flashing your Q. I had a couple of tense moments.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sg2p6eelbtz0erp/NiTekWorkbenchBeta.exe

Thanks. My Q was reflashed by Dive Rite while I waited. I just need workbench on my PC. I will take a look at your link. Thanks.

I still get a failure, really want the Workbench to work. But just might not be in the cards for me anyway. Like most people I've downloaded and installed various software from time to time. The latest Cineform for my GoPro never with an issue.
I've tried installing Workbench something like 50 times with the exact same result "Installation failed, contact your sys. admin" This is my personal computer and not associated with any business of any kind.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom