My son's fish and brass peg from 1800s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
He shot these on a wreck that nobody knows the name of. It sank in the 1800s and has been called the Brass wreck for as long as anyone can remember. Here's the LDS description:

The Brass Wreck is an unidentified 19th century schooner which lies in 90-95’ of water approximately 15 miles ESE of Pensacola Pass. A favorite of local divers because of the variety of marine life it holds, especially tropical reef species. All that remains of the wreck are the iron ribs, ballast, and windlass

Its called the Brass Wreck because divers have been salvaging brass pins out of her since the first local divers went down on her. This weekend, my son got two kinds of treasure -- a nice mess of fish and one of her brass pins as seen in this photo:

BrasspegGrouper.jpg

The grouper weighted about 15 pounds. We fried up one side of it Saturday night and it was way more than me and my son could eat. Unfortunately, my shoulder is still healing and I had to stay dry this weekend, but next weekend I'm back in the water.

Nice catch! What exactly is a brass pin?

ReefGuy:
Nice catch! What exactly is a brass pin?

I'm no expert, but I assume it's used to hold the wooden ship together . Some of these have been found that have wood still around them. This one had a little wood on it, but it soon fell off after drying out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom