My South FL MOFia trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I left Chicago Wednesday evening 01/16 to arrive in Ft Lauderdale around midnight. I lost an hour for the time zone change but gained about 50+ degrees in temperature.

The game plan for Thursday was to dive with Kev in Boynton for 2 afternoon dives. Seas were rough and the trip was cancelled. I was still able to get a tour of Ft. Lauderdale and the surrounding area. This was a bonus since I am looking to relocate to that area later this year.

Friday morning we woke up and the water looked perfect! We arrived at Pier 66 to board American Dream about 8:30am. Our first dive was the Mercedes. We gear up and jump in-and as quickly as I got in I got out. I wasnt comfortable. Everyone descended and I got back on the boat. I talked to Captain Todd and Zak (DM). I relaxed my overwhelming brain and decided I wanted to get back in. Zak and I went down to the wreck and I have never felt better. It was beautiful. The coral, schooling fish, nurseshark, and turtle decorated the manipulated wreck. We stayed a short time, maybe 30 minutes. The hunters of the group made this a drift dive, so after the wreck divers were done we picked up the hunters. We were able to catch the sight of a huge turtle (loggerhead??) taking a breath by the dive flag.

Dive 2 was a drift, I am not sure of the name of the reef. This dive was very relaxing. There were 3 people hunting, 1 photographer, and 2 of us just taking in the view. We were down a little more than an hour.

Dive 3 was Teneco Towers. I loved this dive. When i go back, I want to do this as a night dive. We went to the bottom and worked our way around the platform.

Dive 4 was a drift dive. This may be called hammerhead, but don't quote me on that. Another very relaxing dive, same scenario as dive #2 of the day.

I was not sure what to expect from FL diving. The viz was fair, but was told because of recent winds it was not as good as usual. I saw lots of fish, nursesharks, turtles, an octopus and a huge green moray eel. The eel was massive. I am horrible at guessing size, but I would say maybe 6 feet. I am sure someone will call me out on that if I am way off.:shakehead:

The best part of diving there was watching the hunters. This was my first time diving with hunters,and I wasn't sure what to expect. The single ultimate moment was watching Howarde kill a mutton. Once he spotted the fish the sequence that followed amazed me. He took the shot and hit it straight away. I was able to see the complete process from him scanning the reef to bagging the fish. This is something I would love to try, all in good time.

The South FL MOFia are the most welcoming generous, incredible people I have ever met. I went to FL alone, knowing only names, some voices and pictures that they have posted. It was a bit out of my comfort zone to do this, I have never done anything like that before. But all in all, everyone was as wonderful as I have known them in the MOF. Trust me, my flight was almost cancelled many times due to me thinking it was not something I would be comfortable doing.

Howarde and Muggsy: Thank you for welcoming me into your home and making me feel like family. Diving with you was awesome, but hanging out with you was even better.

I have to thank everyone for making me feel that I was at home, with people that genuinely cared.

A special note to ScubaSteve(you know who you are my Wii man!!!) Thank you for showing me how to wake board (is that what we were doing???). That rocked and getting my ass kicked around by waves was very cool!!!! Next time I am down we are having a Wii tournament Championship!!!!

Fishey and Kelli: Thank you for sharing your time with me. Diving with both of you was great. I look forward to sharing many more MOFia dinners and cocktails with you in 2008. I can't wait to see the photo's that you took. Fishey...you are the man, thanks for keeping it real.

ONESPEED: Thank you for your hospitality. You helped in arranging all of the plans and made the trip flawless. Thank you for the airport pickup and the use of your tanks ( tank you! :rofl3: ).

Shelli: So glad we had time together. Next time we will dive. Thank you for being my drinking buddy and keeping me up (and drunk) until 3am (twice!!!). ohh, and also, for being the voice of reason that I so often need.

Joyce, Mike, Kev, Marvel: Thank you for coming out. It was truly a pleasure meeting you all. I can't wait to dive with you. Kev...DUUDDDEEEE. Joyce....the cake was perfect. Thank you! I am glad I finally met my favorite sHOe girl.

I came home to -9 degree temperatures. My car doors were frozen shut. Reality has now set in...very quickly. Time to move on and get back into MY real world.

It was truly a gift spending time with each of you. I will never forget your kindness. It was refreshing to meet such a wonderful group that look out for each other under water as well as above.

Sandy! You are the bomb!!!! Had a great time! Awesome trip report! You are welcome back anytime :)

The South FL MOFia are the most welcoming generous, incredible people I have ever met. I went to FL alone, knowing only names, some voices and pictures that they have posted. It was a bit out of my comfort zone to do this, I have never done anything like that before. But all in all, everyone was as wonderful as I have known them in the MOF. Trust me, my flight was almost cancelled many times due to me thinking it was not something I would be comfortable doing.

Sandy, Glad you took the "plunge" and came down. :D

It was really terrific to meet you, Sandy! When you come back... :D

Sandy,

So glad that you enjoyed your first visit with the South Florida MOFer's. Sorry that I wasn't able to dive with you, but we'll have plenty of time for that once you relocate. And thank you, for taking the time out of your visit to come see me when I was trapped at work. That really made my day! Now that I've read a couple of other posts this evening, I'm guessing that the blister you showed me was the cause of today's visit to the ER. Now, be good, and take care of that. We'll have you back in the water in no time!

OK, two questions. What does MOFia stand for and what was the bottom temperature?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom