My standards for diving !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely agree about divers who brag!!! It always seems to turn out that their big talk (or big-talking Internet posts) are always a means for compensating for some deficiency or fear.

Personally, I've found underwater navigation the most difficult aspect of diving. I did very well with all my compass skills in the classes I've taken, but I still find myself having to really think about navigation when I dive. I have to get orientated with my compass before I enter the water, get orientated again at depth, check, re-check, and set my compass, etc. I seem to get turned around easily if I don't really watch it. My wife, on the other hand, navigates with ease and seems to always know where she is in relation to the shore, boat, etc. without much effort.

With that said, I think I might add that a "good" diver is aware of his/her own strenths and weaknesses and isn't too prideful to admit they aren't "good" at everything.

I like the point about 2 nails a year doesnt make a proficient carpenter and two dives a year doesnt make a proficient diver. I havent dove in over 10 years and am getting back into it. My plan is to do some pool workouts just so I can play with gear again. After that I will take a refresher to go over the computers and tables again. I like diving physiology so I don't think the tables pose any trouble to me. Since I live inland, my dives will be confined to local lakes for now. My goal is technical diving down the road just because it is a huge challenge.

It is a comprehensive list. I would add one more thing - humility. Someone who feels small in the face of the awe inspiring vastness of the U/W world will generally develop an attitude of respect for what they are doing, which in turn will lead to the development of many of the above traits.

EricJ:
I definitely agree about divers who brag!!! It always seems to turn out that their big talk (or big-talking Internet posts) are always a means for compensating for some deficiency or fear.

Personally, I've found underwater navigation the most difficult aspect of diving. I did very well with all my compass skills in the classes I've taken, but I still find myself having to really think about navigation when I dive. I have to get orientated with my compass before I enter the water, get orientated again at depth, check, re-check, and set my compass, etc. I seem to get turned around easily if I don't really watch it. My wife, on the other hand, navigates with ease and seems to always know where she is in relation to the shore, boat, etc. without much effort.

With that said, I think I might add that a "good" diver is aware of his/her own strenths and weaknesses and isn't too prideful to admit they aren't "good" at everything.

Navigation is my worst thing also. I would much rather just be on my way looking at stuff then having to pay attension to were im going. I have got were I can do a straight line pretty well but Im easily distracted lol :)

So I guess I need to add practice practice practice to my list :)

I used to dive every weekend, but got married, bought a house, and haven't had the "time" the past 2 years to dive as much as I like. Hoping this year will be different, if it ever warms up.

In our club I've had the chance to dive with a lot of different members/skill levels. I went with 2 people who never seemed to take their eyes off of their compass....as went around in a circle in 20'of water.

One of my 1st dives was with an expereinced diver, I blew thru my 80 pretty quickly & I breathed off his alternate on the way in (30' depth - shore dive), he picked up 2 lobsters on the way in.

Once I was expereinced I dove with some newbies. I dove with 1 diver who 1/2 thru tank signalled a turn around.....we were swimming parallel to the coast, 35' depth - against the current. And the person took off - going with the current, took me a while to catch up & grab a fin...by which time we were already past the entrance point

Also dove with a girl who overheated getting geared up, she told me to join the rest of the group. Instead I had her get in the water & cool off, and brought her gear down. Once she was ready we started to swim out. She didn't like swimming on the surface so we submerged in ~10'of water. We ended up having a great dive, grabbed some lobster & she was thrilled. After that I would always make sure she stayed cool while getting geared up - and she continued to dive.

Our club has always helped new divers...it's one reason I dive, since my buddy had to bail out of class due to ear problems.

One guy I used to dive with all the time was great. We were both comfortable in the water & had about same skill level. We'd start the dive together, a lot of times we'd end up seperated while lobstering - but we'd usually find each other again.

Now I usually dive with my wife. But occaisonally I dive "alone" while on a club dive. I have a very tall flag, so every one knows where I am. Solo was the one time I saw an albino lobster...and no camera. I watch too many horror.sci-fi stories & have "freaked" myself under water. Just keep thinking a monster is going to get me.

Have to agree to make sure of your buddies capabilities, and talk over the dive before getting in the water

Scuba_Dave:
I used to dive every weekend, but got married, bought a house, and haven't had the "time" the past 2 years to dive as much as I like. Hoping this year will be different, if it ever warms up.

When I bought a house and then got married is when I enjoyed the diving the most. getting away from it all so to speak. :)

My biggest weakness is not the diving, but getting to the water. Once I'm in I'm like a seal. Someday I'll get a video of me walking and send it into afv and maybe I'll win some money or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom