My tanks, Mine, Mine I tell you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Once again I throw my question out to the world....

I just bought two new tanks - and just to be PC... they are non-painted AL80 Catalinas with black boots (just like everyone else on the dive boat!)

So what is a good way of marking the tanks so I can pick them out of a crowd of tanks. Some stickers seem like the best idea - even tho I'll have to rip them off in 5 years.

I'm not into painting or baking etc. and I'm not smart enough to remember the serial number (even tho it is written down in my log book).

Ideas?

Use a paint pen near the neck... and BTW

DON'T BAKE THE PAINT ON AN ALUMINUM TANK!!!

It is unusable (unstable/dangerous, etc) after you do so!!!

Any issues with the solvent in the paint pen interacting with the lacquer on the tanks ? (The paint pens that I've seen are lacquer based...)

Mine you, I am assuming that there is a clear lacquer on the tanks...

but the paint should seal any problems it would cause. Being near the top of the tank would reduce corrosion (which usually occurs in the boot area)

I've put my name on them using Brother P-touch lables, along with SOS (that's Save Ontario Shipwrecks) stickers near the neck of the tanks

I've had the stickers and labels on since I've owned the tanks, and they've gone through endless pool and o/w dives.

Some extra wraps of duct tape would help hold in the air better and in the emergency down under. You have the handy man fix everything right there. Sorry Just to long out of the water.

A nice pink vaulve cover. $1.50 or a color choice of your liking.

Hit the right button this time.

For the tanks I'm absolutly sire I'll never part with, I have my initials stamped into the steel up around the neck of the tank. For the others I use a paint pen or Sharpie™ marker.

Originally posted by Swamp Rat
Some extra wraps of duct tape would help hold in the air better and in the emergency down under. You have the handy man fix everything right there. Sorry Just to long out of the water.

A nice pink vaulve cover. $1.50 or a color choice of your liking.

Hit the right button this time.

Since duct tape fixes anything....How much should I use to fix my boyancy problems?

Thanks all; it seems that paint pen is winning. regards and

TANKS for all your help!

Three rolls of tape should do it. All you have to do is pick up rocks and tape them down to your wet suit. You can release rocks as needed or pick them up from the bottom. :D

I like the valve cover Idea. I suppose they could be removed if someone really wanted your tanks.

OD,
I print my name with a paint marker around the neck of the tank, just under the valve. Should any questions arise, I have the serial numbers written down in my log book.:tree:Bob

Back
Top Bottom