Mythos - big time fogging problem!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick, sounds like you got it figured out. Baby shampoo for the oil and stuff, baking soda for scrubbing dirt. Gonna have to try it.

fmw625:
Rick, sounds like you got it figured out. Baby shampoo for the oil and stuff, baking soda for scrubbing dirt. Gonna have to try it.

On paper it sounds good, but isnt this formulation the basis of a well known mask scrub anyway?

Products within the Salclear range will degrease and prime the mask with a fraction of the effort. Choice of the right ingredients does the job effectively.

Agreed, there are other ways of tackling the problem, our aim was to make the job short, with a minimum amount of effort (under 2 minutes), and without risking scratching the mask lens... but of course our solution costs a bit more than homemade mask scrub.

ohiodiver:
Hey everyone, I've read a lot of threads on fogging, but I've still got a question. I broke my old mask on the last day of diving last year, and recently bought a Mythos. I scrubbed it with Softscrub before the first day of diving, and during my first dive it began to seriously fog after about 10 minutes. When I got back on the boat, I borrowed a friends toothpaste, and tried again - same result. Before the next dive, I again tried some softscrub they had on the boat, and again after about 10 minutes, big time fogging. By the way, I used Sea Drops before every dive, like I've always done.

Other than the fogging, it's a great mask - but pretty much worthless unless I can figure this out!

I bought a Mythos and used toothpaste on it, but the thing fogged like crazy. so i used more toothpaste and same results.... I'm going to try the baby shampoo and baking soda thing and see what happens. Did you get your mask to work?

I have two of these masks, have no problems with fogging and i just use saliva. Two other family members use this mask also, no complaints of fogging either.

I bought a Mythos and used toothpaste on it, but the thing fogged like crazy. so i used more toothpaste and same results.... I'm going to try the baby shampoo and baking soda thing and see what happens. Did you get your mask to work?
I really don't think brand has much to do with it. The last mask I bought I had troubles getting it to not fog, tried toothpaste, soft scub, baby shampoo,...finally found a post where a guy was having the same problem and he said a boat captain took his mask and cleaned it with Bon Ami. I went and purchased a can (79 cent) and cleaned mine with it....works like a charm! I highly recommend it (and don't worry, it won't scratch the glass).
Just wanted to add, this is for the initial cleaning. Once cleaned with the Bon Ami, any defogger (spit, baby shampoo, 200ft vis) will work pre dive.

Jason

I got some mask defog that's like car wax. You rub it on, let it dry to a haze, and buff off. It's great stuff.

Chocoholic:

I used gel toothpaste the first time and I think that might be why it fogged. Not sure, but this time I scrubbed the heck out of it with regular paste toothpaste and it worked like a champ.

I have tried the baby shampoo, defogging sprays, and many others. The ultimate solution is definitely saliva. I only apply the defogging film right before I jump into the water. Sometimes, I even apply it after jump into the water while waiting on the surface for decent. I don't find others being more effective.

I have heard that some mask such as Mares X-Vision has thicker coat on the lens. It would require some serious rubbing with the tooth paste otherwise defogging will definitely be a problem. Not sure if this info is right.

I use Miller ADVEXX (permanent anti-fog) inserts on my masks - works great.

Most of the time I just let a little water in my mask, swish arond, clear mask and fog is gone.

Back
Top Bottom