"Name Tagging" my wreck reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about a cheap grease pencil or crayon? I think the grease pencil will work better in cold water.

Originally posted by TexasMike
I just had a thought about a simple modification to my wreck reel and wanted to see what the rest of you thought.

My thought was to add a small "tag" to the end of my reel where I loop/tie it off to the outside of the wreck with my last name on it. This way, if another diver happens on my line after I've penetrated inside, they will see that the line leads to me.

Whatchyall think?

It's a great idea except for one thing. You shouldn't tie off outside, you should tie off JUST inside.

I've seen this idea before, someone said in a PADI wreck course, that's probably right.

How about just attaching a small slate that says something like "yo fool, this is not an old guideline, my live butt is on the other end! Please don't mess with it". Maybe that could be worded better but you get the gist.

Personally I try to never do line runs on wrecks with a bunch of divers around (primarily for fear someone will follow me in) but that may not be optional for everyone.

Tom

Tom

I like the idea of marking length and time entered. Can anyone recommend a pen/marker that works underwater that can be erased afterwards? I like the idea of marking length and time entered. Can anyone recommend a pen/marker that works underwater that can be erased afterwards?
I've used a grease pencil, it's more like a wax pencil, and can be rubbed off with a cloth, top side.

regards

Mike D

I've used a grease pencil, it's more like a wax pencil, and can be rubbed off with a cloth, top side.[/B]

If using a regular slate, use a thick pencil and clean with steel wool (faster and cleaner than erasor)

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom