Narc Panic at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depth is a bit like "learning your limit" as an adult drinker. I agree with Becky in the sense that I need to tell myself beforehand not to go deeper than 130 becuase once I am at 100, frankly, I am already impaired and will follow anyone deeper unless I am operating on decisions made prior, on the boat. I saw ten divers, some with about 15 dives, all go in the Temple of Doom with a dive guide in Palau...it was very routine. You wouldn't catch me in there with that many people I did not know.

Knowing your "usual" response to diving deep is important before going to the depth you did. I don't know how much deep diving you've done on air (I didn't read all the posts in this thread), but if you haven't done much before it probably wasn't a wise idea to dive the Blue Hole.

I have gradually worked my way to deep depths on air, but slowly. Even though I'm fairly familiar with my "usual" reaction to diving deep, any dive could become "unusual" depending on my physiology and physical condition that day (not to mention equipment malfunctions or stressors).

I don't think anyone mentioned this in the thread but, it has been my experience that a diver can feel perfectly fine on a "deeper" open water dive in clear water, but as soon as you duck into a wreck or back into a dark "cave" the narcosis can hit you very fast. I guess it has something to do with the immediate change in the light level and making your eyes adjust makes you acutely aware of how buzzed you really are.

I have heard that the feeling a person gets when ducking into a cave at 135 feet is similar to taking a huge bong hit. I wouldn't know anything about that, but at least the pot head is expecting the immediate "head rush". Maybe divers should be taught about this effect?

Wow! Sounds like you kept your head... I'm curious... how many logged dives did you have before doing Blue Hole? I'm going in 2 weeks and am not certified (this weekend hopefully!). My group that's going with me to Belize is doing Blue Hole. I was either going to snorkel it or see if I could dive it, but stay at a much more shallow depth.
Also, is there even anything to see at less than 100'?
Angela

NCSCUBADOOBA:
Wow! Sounds like you kept your head... I'm curious... how many logged dives did you have before doing Blue Hole? I'm going in 2 weeks and am not certified (this weekend hopefully!). My group that's going with me to Belize is doing Blue Hole. I was either going to snorkel it or see if I could dive it, but stay at a much more shallow depth.
Also, is there even anything to see at less than 100'?
Angela
Many local Ops will take newbies to the Blue Hole of Belize but I really do not think you should dive it - and no, nothing to see other than the deep dive and caves around 130-140 ft.

The rest of the day trip, lunch break on the island, subsequent dives are nice with the better Ops. My group went with the worst. See the Central American and Caribbean forums for more on the Blue Hole trips.

I am with Dandy Don. A newbie going that deep is never a good idea. To many things can happen that could be life or death at that depth. This is a sport that takes a certain amount of risks but don't rush it. A little more time under your belt would be well spent. But this is just my own opinion.

So, Angela - where is Wake Forest? I see from your profile that you're diving Fantasy lake. NC? Might put that in your profile location?

I also see from your profile that you are really into diving the Belize Blue Hole! Do you know what Op you'll be going with?

Since you are so into the idea, may I suggest this: Hire a Dive Master to be your personal buddy. Not the group DM - [Uyour DM[/U]. May be more than you want to spend, but it's the only safe way, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom