Narcosis Charters; WPB FL, LOST Diver Today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain van has charged rec dive boats and has circled them with his big boat to swamp them, Rob the fella diver who got hit from a boat was the one where his divers were charged.

That being said and van is being closely watched of his attitude on the water and his captain skills, this is another that divers no longer want him captaining a large vessel or any for that matter. One thing is for sure van must be very careful on all chaters for the rest of his captain charter life.

crbb who is the member mouthing him on SB?

This is the most BS of any post I have ever seen on scubaboard, and that is saying a lot....
Voodoogas man, you do not know what you are talking about. Van is one of the best captains in florida, and a huge population of divers that are regulars on his boat will underline this.
The only private boaters that could have a problem with him, would be morons that are driving their own boats incorrectly.

Who are you? Have the balls to use your real name if you are going to make posts like this.... Better yet, have this conversation in person, so internet nonsense does not get even more ridiculous.

Dan go read them for your self on spearboard, you know about this and the other charter that got in to the thread, it was a screaming match in a dive shop over it. and yes van has attitude.

So divers that dive the sights with there own boats are morons, I read you loud and clear dan, you own the ocean also. I'm sure glad the captains in my area are very safe.

VooDooGasMan has a bit of a history for writing incomplete thoughts . . . What say we ask for clarification?

GasMan, would you please source this claim, that Cap'n Van has charged other boats?

Who is it that is "watching" Cap'n Van, and who is it that doesn't want him Captaining large boats?

Please understand that these are very serious allegations and just because it is on the Internet does not mean you cannot be held responsible for your statements.

Captain van has charged rec dive boats and has circled them with his big boat to swamp them, Rob the fella diver who got hit from a boat was the one where his divers were charged.

That being said and van is being closely watched of his attitude on the water and his captain skills, this is another that divers no longer want him captaining a large vessel or any for that matter. One thing is for sure van must be very careful on all chaters for the rest of his captain charter life.

crbb who is the member mouthing him on SB?

This is the most BS of any post I have ever seen on scubaboard, and that is saying a lot....
Voodoogas man, you do not know what you are talking about. Van is one of the best captains in florida, and a huge population of divers that are regulars on his boat will underline this.
The only private boaters that could have a problem with him, would be morons that are driving their own boats incorrectly.

Who are you? Have the balls to use your real name if you are going to make posts like this.... Better yet, have this conversation in person, so internet nonsense does not get even more ridiculous.

Dan go read them for your self on spearboard, you know about this and the other charter that got in to the thread, it was a screaming match in a dive shop over it. and yes van has attitude.

So divers that dive the sights with there own boats are morons, I read you loud and clear dan, you own the ocean also. I'm sure glad the captains in my area are very safe.

Let's do this talk at the Marina....here it will remain ridiculous.
I have seen "many" private boats that will anchor on coral reefs, and commit all maners of stupidities. This is NOT to say that all private boaters will, but I have been on Narcosis certainly MANY more times than you have, and have NEVER seen the behavior you speak of.
I like Rob Murphy, and I freedive also...this has NOTHING to do with this thread, and Van has nothing to do with the Murphy incident...it is amazing to me that your post did not get deleted by the moderators, for going so far from reality, and having so much malice and forethought contained in it.

Then how did van loose the diver, thats what is going on here, what is the right story.
Rob murphy did post narcosis and van on spearboard, and many others told there run ins with van.

Why does know one know why the diver made it to land in lake conditions, My thinking is to make van look bad.

Jax the spearo's are having cameras ready for when narcosis trys a stunt again, van will yell at boaters. Van has been good and now why is this diver bad mouthing on SB, of I have not seen this.

Then how did van loose the diver, thats what is going on here, what is the right story.
Rob murphy did post narcosis and van on spearboard, and many others told there run ins with van.

Why does know one know why the diver made it to land in lake conditions, My thinking is to make van look bad.

Jax the spearo's are having cameras ready for when narcosis trys a stunt again, van will yell at boaters. Van has been good and now why is this diver bad mouthing on SB, of I have not seen this.

:hm: What's up with the spearos really has no place here, right? I sense you dislike Cap'n Van and his operation, but we are talking about what happened in this incident.

We've heard from others who were near, and one who was on the boat. At this time, there sounds like zero problems with the boat.

Shall we agree to stick to this incident? :)

jax, no dislike with van at all, just reported what happen a few months back, nothing came up on narcosis, till this and the diver made it to shore, while rescue could not find him. The rescue team never viewed a diver being towed, or he might know the current and went down and made his way to shore.

If he is a SB member, I would like to see his post and his response towards narcosis.

I wish all dive industry well, yet have to share the ocean.

Dan I see your look on the spearfisherman, sorry not the case of spearfihers, only what you want to think.

the diver made it to shore and thats all that matters, if he is upset with charter for not picking him up, so be it, it happens.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Cleaned up some of the posts. This thread is about a lost diver, not the behavior of spearfishing. If you'd like to discuss spearfishing, we have several great appropriate forums for that.

Remember:
-take a moment to breathe. When posting controversial statements, try to make sure the thoughts are clear and well worded, and not insulting. Well thought and written statements enable a polite discussion.
-it helps to provide support for any strong statements made. Links to other threads, other posts, or news articles can provide support for your argument and help you avoid misleading people. Facts trump rumors, and enable a polite discussion
-be nice! If you can't be nice, then put off posting until you can be.

Fair enough?

:)

Given the many "something's fishy" comments . . .

Is there any more news on this? I, too, find it amazing that this guy basically went in a direction he wasn't supposed to go, ended up on a beach, and that no kayacker or anyone else has come in the corroborate the story . . . and then, he didn't have the grace to apologize . .

[WAG]Could he have found something underwater, and didn't want anyone else to know? [/WAG]

:)

Given the many "something's fishy" comments . . .

Is there any more news on this? I, too, find it amazing that this guy basically went in a direction he wasn't supposed to go, ended up on a beach, and that no kayacker or anyone else has come in the corroborate the story . . . and then, he didn't have the grace to apologize . .

[WAG]Could he have found something underwater, and didn't want anyone else to know? [/WAG]

The guy could NOT have gone too far in the wrong direction because we now know that he was with his buddy for 25 minutes on an 80 foot dive. Even though he had a big tank, he had used up a good portion of his time and air in the general vicinity of the correct dive site (which is more or less straight north from the drop point).

In any regard, since the capt picked up the lost divers buddy only 5 minutes after she left him, he would have a pretty good fix on where the diver was last seen and since she was reported to have indicated that her buddy was "missing", it would be reasonable to assume that the capt. might mark the site on his GPS or make some other mental note as to this particular location, since it is relevant to where he should expect the diver to surface (even if he did not foresee the eventual lost diver situation).

The area is dove very frequently in the summer with literally a hundred divers per week drifting through this general area located just a mile or so from the inlet, so it is pretty unlikely that he found a stash of "gold bars".

I agree that it is very surprising that with the perfect conditions that day and the capt. presumably getting an intermediate fix on the diver (half way or more through his dive) that this guy was not found (not withstanding the abscence of an SMB).

The conditions were also somewhat unusual that day in that there was a noticable thermocline and the bottom (cold) water was moving north, but at a much slower rate than the surface current. This does tend to widen the possible search location if the searchers do not know WHEN the diver transitions from the slow current on the bottom, to the faster current on the surface.

Defintely an unusual situation for a diver to get "that" lost under such good conditions.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom