Narcosis Managing Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PPO2 has been mentioned above, and it's interesting to note that the max PPO2 recommended for recreational divers has diminshed steadily from 2.0 to 1.4 in the last 25 years.

With nitrox being readily available in many dive spots, rebreather use increasing, and trimix more approachable than ever... the need to push the limits of Narcosis and Toxicity have diminished steadily.

It all comes down to why you dive...

1. To see/experience great things underwater
2. To find/push your physical and mental limits
3. "Numbers"
- To acheive a depth/time/gas combination
- To acheive a number of dives

When I started diving, I was all about the numbers (3). As I progressed, it became more about understanding my physical and mental limits (2). Now, I love to learn, and to experience new places, sights, and people (1). Remaining sharp by testing limits is an important thing to do on an annual/semi-annual basis... but not on every dive.

Aside from those people actively involved at the cutting edge of diving record setting, I don't see what divers would want to "push physical and mental limits" for?

Isn't diving meant to be fun, enjoyable and satisfying? For me, I am most happy to remain within my comfort zone. For sure, I extend that zone through training and experience... but I see no benefits in scaring myself or taking risks.

I think the 'numbers' chase wears off pretty quickly. I saw an achievement when I got to dive 100, but lost interest after that. I stopped logging dives after 1000, there just seemed little point to it. I remember all the great stuff, that's all I need.

As for depth hunting.... again, it seems valid when you start, but with experience you realise that it is pretty inconsequential. Unless you have a dream to become one of the handful that take spectacular risks and spend spectacular money to add a few meters extra into the Guiness Book, then there is little point chasing the deep.

Devon,

In my Adv. N2 course, the instructor definitely pushed my mental limits underwater through task loading. It was a healthy and fearful exprience at the same time.

I prefer to "find/evaluate" my physical and mental limits while diving rather than push them. If someone wishes to to "push their limits"... feel it's best to do that under the guidance of an instructor with a specific goal in mind.

Yeah... I did state that doing so through training was valid. I agree 100%. I was referring to those people who push those limits in a random, careless way. You know, the muppet 'bounce divers' etc etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom