Narcosis Properties of Different Gases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG! I can never get the time back, that I spent in this thread. :facepalm:

The goal for you at this point is to prove your statement that Nitrox reduces narcosis.

I've provided reputable research that disagrees with your theory. If you can't provide a counter-argument based on similar research we can just move on.

The "research" you provided is a rumor started by Bennett in 1970 at a Symposium which somehow managed to survive to this date.

There is no proof whatsoever that O2 is narcotic at recreational diving depths (i.e. N32 at 100') and this re-enforces my observation that increasing O2 and decreasing N in a cave environment in the 24 to 30 meter depth range reduces narcosis.

BUT we should now go back and actually understand more of what Bennett actually said in 1970 - although clearly neither Bennett nor anybody else has been able to prove what Bennett hypothesised back then and was later repeated in the DAN research on Nitrox diving which you have read.

I'd love to read Bennett's 1970 actual words, if somebody can supply copy of what he said at the 1970 Proceedings of the Fourth International Congress on Hyperbaric Medicine.

The "research" you provided is a rumor started by Bennett in 1970 at a Symposium which somehow managed to survive to this date.

There is no proof whatsoever that O2 is narcotic at recreational diving depths and this re-enforces my observation that increasing O2 and decreasing N in a cave environment in the 24 to 30 meter depth range reduces narcosis.

BUT we should now go back and actually understand more of what Bennett actually said in 1970 - although clearly neither Bennett nor anybody else has been able to prove what Bennett hypothesised back then.

I'd love to read Bennett's 1970 actual words, if somebody can supply copy of what he said at the 1970 Proceedings of the Fourth International Congress on Hyperbaric Medicine.

So you got nothing huh?

Noted...

Everyone is wrong except you. Ok. We get it.

So brave with your 1 man army.

Nope.

You all believe in something for which there is no proof, and that is perfectly acceptable and normal behavior.

I believe it is called "theology."

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 04:01 PM ----------

So you got nothing huh?

Noted...

I am not the one who has to prove O2 is narcotic at recreational depths.

I never said so and I do not believe so.

Nope.

You all believe in something for which there is no proof, and that is perfectly acceptable and normal behavior.

I believe it is called "theology."

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 04:01 PM ----------

I am not the one who has to prove O2 is narcotic at recreational depths.

I never said so and I do not believe so.

The only reason it was brought up was to debunk your theory that Nitrox reduced narcosis. There is substantially more evidence and research that leads us to believe that O2 is in fact narcotic and that narcosis is not alleviated by using Nitrox.

Can you provide any research to the contrary?

Try to stay on point. Deliberately obfuscating your argument does nothing to lend credibility to it.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 05:12 PM ----------

You know what? Never mind. You can't provide a counter-point and you won't admit as much so I'll just sit back.

The only reason it was brought up was to debunk your theory that Nitrox reduced narcosis. There is substantially more evidence and research that leads us to believe that O2 is in fact narcotic and that narcosis is not alleviated by using Nitrox.

Can you provide any research to the contrary?

Try to stay on point. Deliberately obfuscating your argument does nothing to lend credibility to it.

O2 is NOT narcotic at recreational diving depths.

Your own research (i.e. the one you cite) shows O2 is narcotic (i.e. 10% impairment) at 1.65 pPO2 (and at a much deeper depth than recreational depths).

At 100'/30 meters the pPO2 on N32 is well below 1.65 pPO2 (the research you cite established narcosis level).

Do you have any evidence that O2 is narcotic at 30 meters using N32?

By all means, I believe in God, and I have no problem when somebody tells me there is no proof God exist. I still believe in God.

You all believe in something for which you have no proof (which is fine, people do all the time, I do as well, it is called "religion"), but are reacting like brainless chickens when somebody points you to the fact that you have NO PROOF!

So lets turn the question around.

Why wouldn't oxygen be narcotic at "recreational depths", but would be narcotic past that? Why would oxygen be predicted be to narcotic via Meyer Overton, but isn't (according to you, and only you) at "recreational depths"? Why do all the major dive agencies, DAN, NEDU, and NOAA treat oxygen as narcotic, but you (one person) does not? Why can we all cite sources to back up our claims, but you can only give anecdotes? Why was the level of narcosis the same when the o2 content was varied in the above cited study? Why would oxygen not metabolized not have a narcotic affect?

Riddle me this.

So lets turn the question around.

Why wouldn't oxygen be narcotic at "recreational depths", but would be narcotic past that? Why would oxygen be predicted be to narcotic via Meyer Overton, but isn't (according to you, and only you) at "recreational depths"? Why do all the major dive agencies, DAN, NEDU, and NOAA treat oxygen as narcotic, but you (one person) does not? Why can we all cite sources to back up our claims, but you can only give anecdotes? Why was the level of narcosis the same when the o2 content was varied in the above cited study? Why would oxygen not metabolized not have a narcotic affect?

Riddle me this.

Based on the available evidence, whilst it would be prudent to treat O2 as narcotic beyond recreational depths, it would be imprudent to suggest Air is preferable to Nitrox at recreational depths in a cave environment.

O2 is metabolised very quickly and there is no evidence whatsoever that at recreational depths (i.e. N32 at 100') it is narcotic.

The "wisdom of the masses" you cite is proof of nothing.

I suspect Bennett wish he had not said what he said back in 1970 (which I would very much like to read in detail because he may have not said at all what people now seem to believe he said).

O2 narcosis at recreational depths is a myth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom