Nav. Dive Idea in Chilly Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind the buoys on the surface may not be directly over the wreck. I like the ideas of navigating 10 or 15 feet off the bottom to save gas and avoid deco.

Lots of interesting ideas for setting the course. You could follow a dragged anchor (or the boat could drag you, ha ha) but that's cheating. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but you could drop a few strobes on buoys at intervals, maybe 300 feet or so. Then just hit your checkpoints.

For straight line nav with decent viz I like to take a bearing on the furthest landmark I can line up and then visual nav to that. If you try to follow your compass the whole time, you might end up with a stiff arm and glazed eyes before you get half way.

Good stuff, thanks. Alotta sand out there... But I'm sure I could find a few things to lock on to. I think I may tie the bouy directly onto the wreck... That way I an avoid all that scope putting things off as much. Good call though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom