NC Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob once bubbled...
I can't comment on the diving, but I can the camping. We used to spend alot of time at Hattras and Ocracoke Island, and let me tell you, don't make the mistake of camping out there, especially in the summer. The heat is oppressive and the sand fleas will drive you crazy. Go on back to Manteo and rent a nice room, your stay at Hattras will be much more pleasant.... :tree: Bob
We like the General Mitchell Motel and the Sea Gull Motel...both are pretty cheap and they were right near the slips we had to get to early in the AM (we dove off the Miss Lindsey out of Lynnhaven Dive Center in VA Beach - they took the boat down to Hatteras for a week or two).

Our favorite was the Pony Island Inn on Ocracoke Island, but that's a ferry ride and a drive away from the Marinas. :tree: Bob

Bob once bubbled...
Our favorite was the Pony Island Inn on Ocracoke Island, but that's a ferry ride and a drive away from the Marinas. :tree: Bob
...do you have to take the ferry out of Ocracoke anyway to get to the marinas? Just wondering since we hit Hatteras before then (coming from DC) and never have to take the ferry. We have that wonderful 2 hour drive down the sandbar though...hehe.

I don't know, we always flew into Ocracoke or Manteo. Since it takes a ferry to get from Hattras to Ocracoke, I just assumed it would be kinda hard to drive it. :) :tree: Bob

mad1 once bubbled...
I'm searching for some good wrecks and charters off the coast of North Carolina,just some weekend trips in the area of 100'-150'.
I live in eastern Ohio. We have visited the saint lawrance and loved it. Any help would be appreceiated...Mark

A few years ago I dove on the boat "Captain's Lady", a six pack run by a gentleman Capt Leroy. Seemed very consciencious. This boat can be reserved through Discovery Diving.
http://www.discoverydiving.com/default.html
The facility was mediocre, but the Capt and his boat was very good for a six pack. If you like bigger boats, go with Olympus. Both facilities have some inexpensive "digs" if you have a group willing to share accomodations.

Did two days. First day did Papoose, Aeolus (120-130ft ranges); but the second day was a blowout for offshore so we did artificial reef Indra (a good practice penetration wreck), and the Suloide (don't waste your time on this one unless you're looking for flounder).

At the time I went, Discovery didn't have nitrox, so we went over to Olympus (mentioned above).

Be prepared for looonnggg rides out to the wrecks. I wasn't, so I earned the Iron Man award for most heaving and STILL getting in the water (unlike others that were sprawled on the decked in misery).

Enjoy... there's some cool wrecks to be had down there.

wb

Did two days. First day did Papoose, Aeolus (120-130ft ranges); but the second day was a blowout for offshore so we did artificial reef Indra (a good practice penetration wreck), and the Suloide (don't waste your time on this one unless you're looking for flounder).
The Indra is a great AR...I think it was 300-400 feet and perfectly upright with all sorts of great swimthroughs and holes cut in her sides. I was also doomed to 2 dives on the Suloide once...oof. Nothing but a rubble pile, but we did see a turtle off the bow on one dive.

I really like camping but sand fleas I HATE so a motel sounds like the way to go.
I can handle rough seas with a little help from the drugstore but like getting to a dive site as quickly as possible.
Are there any live-a-boards running in this area?

barb once bubbled...
I really like camping but sand fleas I HATE so a motel sounds like the way to go.
I can handle rough seas with a little help from the drugstore but like getting to a dive site as quickly as possible.
Are there any live-a-boards running in this area?
But, you may be able to get a faster six pack to take you out quicker. We took a six pack called the Spear-It (don't know contact info...sorry) out of Wilmington, NC with twin 400hp outboards. We got out to the Cassimir (40 or so miles out and usually a 3 hour trip) in about an hour and 10 mins.

barb once bubbled...
I'd have to hang on for dear life :D
I like it:eek:
That was a heck of a ride...we could have waterskied out to the wrecks :) . THe only drawback to it, like herman mentioned, is that the smaller boats have more trouble with the rough seas that NC is known for. We got blown out on day 1, but managed to get in 3 dives on day 2 since the boat was so fast (the cap'n said it will make 28 knots on a good day).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom