NCL Majesty in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pleasan7

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for any other divers. Husband and I found a great deal so we are off on Dec.11-18 from Charleston, SC to Grand Cayman (fingers crossed not Cancun), Cozumel and then I understand a brief stop at Key West. I plan to dive each stop with Key West being unlikely because it might just be a 4 hour stop. Any other divers coming along?
[Trip was esp. tempting because it is just an 8 hour drive to port.]
I will post a trip report here on the diving when I get back.
Cannot wait!
Carol

pleasan7:
Looking for any other divers. Husband and I found a great deal so we are off on Dec.11-18 from Charleston, SC to Grand Cayman (fingers crossed not Cancun), Cozumel and then I understand a brief stop at Key West. I plan to dive each stop with Key West being unlikely because it might just be a 4 hour stop. Any other divers coming along?
[Trip was esp. tempting because it is just an 8 hour drive to port.]
I will post a trip report here on the diving when I get back.
Cannot wait!
Carol

We did the NCL Majesty Bermuda trip last year. The food was very good and the ship was nice.

Our trip aboard the NCL Majesty was very enjoyable.
Ports:
The first port we stopped at was Grand Cayman. We were shuttled in by boat. It was 82 above and below the water. We skipped the first two dive flags that we saw and went on to Don Foster’s Dive Shop. The shop is in a wonderful location. He has a pool, some picnic tables, and lounge chairs. We chose to shore dive and they had all the gear we needed. We saw a boat full of cruisers go out from his shop to dive. We easily assembled our gear next to the ladders and walked down into the water. We chose to swim out on the surface to the buoy indicating the start of the reef. It was a good twenty to thirty feet the little bit that we dove. There was an unusual current flowing to the south. The person we spoke to at the shop mentioned that it is usually a still place to dive. I did see a number of different species of fish. Very colorful. At one point I looked over to my husband and there was a barracuda just beyond him in the water. He turned when I pointed but did not see it. It stayed for just about a minute then swam off lost in the light. It was a beautiful day so I did take some pictures underwater. The ones of us swimming came out good but I don’t have enough experience to get clear fish shots.
Our cruise docked at Cozumel after a bumpy night we found out that Grand Cayman had a mild earthquake that night. Also, Cozumel had just had a storm go by. The weather was once again clear and beautiful but the waves were up. They were continuous so we telephoned Chellie with Eagle Ray Divers and cancelled. She was very understanding, refunding us the deposit. She later mentioned that the dock was closed so they would not have gone out that day. We were very disappointed to have not gotten to dive. We walked back to the ship changed and came back in, you walk up and through a mall because they are working on the road right there. We caught a taxi to Chankanaab National Marine Park ($10.00 for the taxi, and $12.00 for adult admission - children are cheaper). It has a cultural attraction walk that I like to take, there is a small pool like area that small children would enjoy that is sea water. They do rent snorkel gear and I like the beach seats. There is not a real beach to walk into the water there but it drops off only about 15 feet so the snorkeling used to be fun. No one was out because the sea was too rough. It was fun to watch people swim with the dolphins. They do have too many dolphins to support in the small area that is fenced in. I saw at least 10 and one had a baby. It was not a good location because Chankanaab is the location of a natural fish breeding ground. It is a small lagoon in land with two entrances. Tunnels that they used to let divers use but had to stop as the divers kicked up too much silt and disturbed the fish. The fish population is greatly decreased since I was there 10 years ago. The cab driver mentioned how the reef is suffering because of the increase in the visitor and population of the island but I wonder if it is not the decrease in the tropical fish that are coming to breed at Chankanaab. Less see how productive can it be to have a fish predator (dolphins) trapped outside a fish breeding ground (and not getting enough fish?). I bet they eat everything that comes within reach. (Stepping down off soap-box) I do enjoy the day there. We would have gone horse back riding as it is on the way to Chankanaab but I forgot it was there. I hope you have better luck on the weather.
That night was again rocky. The shuttle into Key West was very smooth. My husband and I chose to walk across Key West and get our photos at the Southern most point. I really enjoyed this beauty walk and pleasant city. Sorry, we are not drinkers so I do not have a favorite spot here. Sunset was lovely!
All in all a good vacation. I hope to stay on an island next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom