NDAC - National Diving Activity Centre - permanently closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alas it looks as if the rumours of NDAC's closure are true. From their website today, 18th Feb 2022

1645206828609.png

This is a real blow to UK diving and training. OK, it's yet another quarry but it was a decent size quarry with a lot of depth, around 80m/260ft, and was the site for of a huge amount of technical training and especially the deeper stuff. In the winter it was the best of the quarries as the visibility was generally OK, compared with bloody awful at all the others.

With Vobster (35m/115ft into the black hole of no vis) being members only, St Andrews being closed (it's 30m/100ft into the silt), the only option is a drive to the Midlands to Stoney Cove (35m/115ft) with its mediocre visibility and long march from the carpark unless you manage to score one of their premium parking spots at a price. Or there's Wraysbury (10m/33ft) -- although it is convenient to park and there's no booking.

Goodness knows what's happening now to the NDAC site.

Had some good times at NDAC. Will genuinely miss it.

Any idea why they closed? That’s sad to lose a good training site.

Alas it looks as if the rumours of NDAC's closure are true. From their website today, 18th Feb 2022

View attachment 707886

This is a real blow to UK diving and training. OK, it's yet another quarry but it was a decent size quarry with a lot of depth, around 80m/260ft, and was the site for of a huge amount of technical training and especially the deeper stuff. In the winter it was the best of the quarries as the visibility was generally OK, compared with bloody awful at all the others.

With Vobster (35m/115ft into the black hole of no vis) being members only, St Andrews being closed (it's 30m/100ft into the silt), the only option is a drive to the Midlands to Stoney Cove (35m/115ft) with its mediocre visibility and long march from the carpark unless you manage to score one of their premium parking spots at a price. Or there's Wraysbury (10m/33ft) -- although it is convenient to park and there's no booking.

Goodness knows what's happening now to the NDAC site.

Had some good times at NDAC. Will genuinely miss it.

I believe the MOD are currently leasing the site. Which currently restricts it to MOD personnel only.

This may have been a life line to ensure they had income during the Covid disruption.

It is a shame about NDAC, I also heard it was turned over to the MOD.

Just a point about Stoney. Now its pre-book only, they only sell enough tickets to fill the main car park so the trek from the overflow isn't an issue any more. The vis is still hit and miss, although when I was last there at xmas it was around 15m, not the usual 1.5m!

Dorothea, Wastwater and Capernwray are the inland sites I've been to most over the last winter (Capers tomorrow).

Went to Stoney two weeks ago. Was really busy on weekend.

With Eunice this weekend, it’s gonna be busy in the inland sites.
5757DDD6-74CB-4EAC-BDB4-DEF8EC3EB09C.png

Ignore my comments about Stoney Cove. I've just read they will stop restricting numbers in march and start charging the extra £10 for a space in the bottom car park as they used to.

Cant wait for the weather to improve. I've had two weekends in Scotland blown out in the last month.

Ignore my comments about Stoney Cove. I've just read they will stop restricting numbers in march and start charging the extra £10 for a space in the bottom car park as they used to.

Cant wait for the weather to improve. I've had two weekends in Scotland blown out in the last month.
That's a pisser, I have got used to the restricted numbers and always parking in the main carpark.

Dotty…

Need to work out how that’s done. It’s a good 5+ hour drive from the south east. Any links that give info on how to dive there?

Whilst quarries aren’t particularly exciting at least it’s diving, especially given that today’s storm has destroyed the vis for a good couple of weeks. Wonder if new wrecks will be revealed— sometimes happens in Dover.

Dotty…

Need to work out how that’s done. It’s a good 5+ hour drive from the south east. Any links that give info on how to dive there?

Whilst quarries aren’t particularly exciting at least it’s diving, especially given that today’s storm has destroyed the vis for a good couple of weeks. Wonder if new wrecks will be revealed— sometimes happens in Dover.
Not an easy drive:

7DD34BAB-C80A-4FB4-97AE-1A5245CC180C.jpeg

Also watch out for the walls 😂

Back
Top Bottom