NDR Topic ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iguana Don

Reaction score
Just curious, if you can't put metal in a microwave oven.
How come they have metal racks in them?
ID

You can put metal in them, it just won't work to cook things - it reflects the energy (and if the metal is large enough, can damage the oven). When thawing steaks, for instance, you should cover the edges with foil or they'll cook. Since the microwave works by exciting the actual molecules of what is in the oven, metal reflects the waves. The entire "oven" and door are metal shielded to reflect all the waves into the food.

Metal utensils do not allow complete penetration of the food by the microwaves, so cooking efficiency is greatly reduced. If the cooking load is not large enough to absorb the microwave energy, the oven could be damaged by an arc between the metal utensils and the cavity interior or door assembly. The life of the magnetron tube can be shortened by extended periods of back-feeding R. F. energy, which raises the magnetron tube's filament temperature.

What you should do is replace all metal parts inside the microwave with Peeps and then turn on the microwave on its highest setting for several minutes.

If you don't know what Peeps are, you don't know what you're missing!

simonk999 - so are you going to tell us?

You mean the little marshmellow-suger coated chicks you get at easter?? I thought they exploded in the microwave!

Or, is that just the regular BIG marshmellows when you try to make S'mores...sans the campfire. NOT a good experiment!

And, I'm not EVEN going to comment on the hampster thing! Everyone knows you just put them in the dryer on "fluff" cycle for 10 minutes. Sheesh!

Getting electric shocks from freshly fluffed hamsters is something I never want to do again.
Cheers ears,
You know who..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom