Sidemount Bailout Config?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't see a thread on this so thought I would ask. If you're diving a BM unit and are sidemounting bailout, how do you have that configured? Are you running loop bungees from the backplate and using a butt plate or metal stand to clip off the SM tanks? I've seen some premade options from Subgravity which consists of a backplate adaptor with loop bungees and a butt plate that attaches to the backplate. Curious if people are using a similar configuration or something entirely different?
I dive a BMCL Optima and sidemount AL72s for bailout. I currently use the DiveRite Ring bungees though holes on the backplate. The bottom bolt snap on the cylinder is located higher than a standard stage rigging bolt snap, and it is on the 3:00 and 9:00 sides of the cylinders. I have a butt plate, but I only use those handles for clipping spools. Clipping the cylinders to the butt plate rails results in the cylinders riding butt high.

Instead of adding weight to an AL80, you might as well just use an LP tank.
Won't help. If there's mix in it, the butt end will still/also want to ride up. Steel tanks might be more or less neutral but I dunno where this perception that they ride level comes from - with anything other than air/nitrox they won't.

What do you all think of the system that uses a metal ring on the harness bungee and the upper boltsnap on the bottle sling cinched close to the tank neck? I haven't tried it but I'm curious after seeing a few very squared away divers using variations of this on their backmount CCR backplates.

Ring1.jpg

What do you all think of the system that uses a metal ring on the harness bungee and the upper boltsnap on the bottle sling cinched close to the tank neck? I haven't tried it but I'm curious after seeing a few very squared away divers using variations of this on their backmount CCR backplates.

Ring1.jpg

Straight trash. It’s died it’s death already. It’s rare to see people using the ring bungee system.

Ring1.jpg

The early 2000s called and want their junk back. The cylinder wont ride level unless it's something heavy in there at a high-ish pressure. Even then it's a mess - save your money.

There are only two ways to get cylinders with high helium content in them (or near empty) to ride level. 1) Clip them somewhere forward on your waist belt or 2) put lead on them. Almost every steel tank ever made will ride nose down unless and certainly every AL80 will tip down. There might be some 300 bar european steels that don't ride nose down... That would be a tough compromise though.

The only thing that sidemount diver needs to be a complete trainwreck are curb feeler gauges.

The only thing that sidemount diver needs to be a complete trainwreck are curb feeler gauges.
those glass and brass ones will be dragging a bit as the pressure drops :D

They aren't as bad as others make out -this particular pic is not helping though -not sure why the tank is that way around and the choker is to far away form the valve to pull the tank in to your body, and the clip on the harness strap should be on a seperate d ring as it can become cluttered if carrying multiple tanks -if you have an opportunity to try them have a go with different systems. Straight bungy is simpler and cleaner
Straight trash. It’s died it’s death already. It’s rare to see people using the ring bungee system.

well youve certainly shut down that discussion

well youve certainly shut down that discussion
I gave an answer based on experience and facts. Yall can discuss if you like, but I gave a response. If it shuts down the discussion it's more likely because nobody uses ring bungees. I would be surprised if either of the Hires even used them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom