Sidemount Bailout Config?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PEDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread on this so thought I would ask. If you're diving a BM unit and are sidemounting bailout, how do you have that configured? Are you running loop bungees from the backplate and using a butt plate or metal stand to clip off the SM tanks? I've seen some premade options from Subgravity which consists of a backplate adaptor with loop bungees and a butt plate that attaches to the backplate. Curious if people are using a similar configuration or something entirely different?

Running loops from the top of the backplate and using a buttplate or a metal stand to clip off the tanks.

rEvo a backplate or a stand. If you have something else, then you can get bailout attachment systems. See Light Monkey.

Didn't see a thread on this so thought I would ask. If you're diving a BM unit and are sidemounting bailout, how do you have that configured? Are you running loop bungees from the backplate and using a butt plate or metal stand to clip off the SM tanks? I've seen some premade options from Subgravity which consists of a backplate adaptor with loop bungees and a butt plate that attaches to the backplate. Curious if people are using a similar configuration or something entirely different?
Yes. LM BAS or depending on the height of your waist belt, the same sliding D configuration you would use on AL80s in SM.

@grantctobin another vote for regular SM sliding d rings on your waist belt for AL80's. I like the Andrew Goring ones form Sump UK, and yes he ships to the US.

And yes bungee through the backplate holes, depending on the brand of backplate you have and where the holes are at and your height you might need to drill a hole where you need it.

Bungee from backplate, light monkey butt system (whatever it’s called). I’ve actually never sidemounted al80s on the ccr (just oc) surprisingly. When I’m in mx I have easy access to steels. But if diving al80s I’d do sliding rings. I actually prefer the xdeep oring one. A lot of people hate it

Seems like the consensus is bungee from the backplate either attached directly or with some webbing like the LM system. My unit already has a stand similar to a JJ where I can clip off vs a butt plate style. I’ll primarily be diving LP85s so I wouldn’t need a sliding d-ring to start but could always add one if I end up using AL80s.

The stands look pretty heavy and probably don't help the trim situation. For divers who don't need extra weight on the rig, try a fabric butt plate.

Seems like the consensus is bungee from the backplate either attached directly or with some webbing like the LM system. My unit already has a stand similar to a JJ where I can clip off vs a butt plate style. I’ll primarily be diving LP85s so I wouldn’t need a sliding d-ring to start but could always add one if I end up using AL80s.
Just for accuracy I use the lm bas system but only the bottom attachment point. I don’t use the webbing strap that the top bungees go through. I just feed the bungee through the holes in the bp

Bungee through backplate and have the LM buttplate, but end up clipping to the waist D-rings since I'm using AL80's.

Bungees from somewhere on the backplate. Not too high, though. The bungees should pull straight up (presuming you're in horizontal trim) or up and maybe a little back. Just not up and forward. So, probably not from the top of the BP.

I use AL80s for BO and clip them to the stand on the bottom of my rEvo. That is nice because it gets them up nicely and doesn't take up waist belt D-rings (which I may or may not have other uses for). And puts the lower rigging lower on the tank, for better control of the butt.

I can't see myself bothering with SM-style sliding D-rings. Those are for adjusting tank trim as you breathe them down. Well, I've never had to bail out from my CCR. If I ever do, I'm probably not going to be worrying about if my BO tanks are starting to float butt-up. Besides for deep and intermediate mixes, I have a 1 or 2# weight on a cam band around the bottom of those tanks, to counteract how floaty they are when full of mix with a lot of helium. If I breathe them down, they are not going to get very floaty anyway.

Somebody was talking about using steels for BO when diving a BM CCR? I am thinking of trying that with the LP50s I got recently. But, other than that, I cannot imagine using steels for BO (for ME). I am negative enough with AL80s. Even in a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom