NE Wreck Diving; Anchoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PVADiving

Registered
Reaction score
I want to dive from my own boat. I've done many NE charters and see how they do it but would like some specifics, especially on hooking wrecks and tying to them in New England waters. What type of anchor? how much chain? what to tie in with? how much line to let out? (as opposed to sand anchoring, for example) Any other advice on specifics for a dive boat in NE. Thanks

PVADiving:
I want to dive from my own boat. I've done many NE charters and see how they do it but would like some specifics, especially on hooking wrecks and tying to them in New England waters. What type of anchor? how much chain? what to tie in with? how much line to let out? (as opposed to sand anchoring, for example) Any other advice on specifics for a dive boat in NE. Thanks

Good news is, there is a decent dive community up here so charter shops and groups maintain moorings on most of the wrecks. On your charters (at least in MA and RI) I would be surprised if they were actually anchoring on any of the popular wrecks.

I use a Danforth anchor with 12' of chain and 150' of rope and this serves most all purposes. I would not anchor on top of a wreck for fear of hitting a diver or damaging the wreck. Of course with divers down there should be a flag or boats nearby, etc. but just as a matter of practice - why though heavy things down where divers go? Also, if you approach a wreck with divers already down you cannot throw anchor on top of the wreck. Get a good hook in the sand beside the wreck if you must anchor and leave someone aboard.

Approach the shallowest area near your desired location, have your anchor ready to be thrown over, throw the boat in reverse and move slowly backward, and once moving backward throw the anchor making sure the chain does not get wrapped up in the hook. I like to keep my hands on the rope after the anchor is on the bottom so I can feel it "bite". You can also feel what you are hitting - sand vs. big rocks, etc. Once it starts to bite tie the line into your bow cleat. Once you have stopped moving with a good bite, sit there for a few minutes to make sure you do not move and your bow faces into the wind (or current - which ever is stronger). Once you are certain you are hooked, tie the line on your second bow cleat. (So your rope is tied off to both cleats). Decend down your anchor line to make sure she is set. If it does not look good, pile some rocks on or move it to a better spot within reason. With strong wind/current you will need your buddy to help out. Moving even a relatively small 3000lb boat by the anchor line with flippers is pretty tough and in some cases impossible :wink:

--Matt

PS A Danforth anchor looks like this: http://www.boatingsafetysidekicks.com/TEACH/danforth.htm

Back
Top Bottom