Near Misses - beyond the OW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rkelleyj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI all,

Not sure where to post this, but it seems appropriate here.

Is there a comprehensive list here at SB of emerg type scenarios that we could all benefit from executing underwater? That are not part of the OW..

One such scenario I read about today, one guy's kicked in the face near-disaster....he breathed in water not knowing his reg was bust, so very very very little time to go for backup, as you are choking!
  • test breathing from a blown out reg - press purge button and get accustomed to breathing

I'm sure with the experiences here on the board, there is a long list that we could all use to get better at executing emergencies so we don't do it for the first time IN AN EMERGENCY. If it's already posted apologies, maybe someone could link me.

B

Last edited:
Someone, I don't remember who did a series of posts "what would you do if" that were very interesting and insightful for us newbs... They were in the basic scuba forum but I can't seem to find them in searches at the moment. There were maybe half a dozen different scenarios thrown out by one of the more experienced members (dives and posts) of the board. If I can find them I'll put the links up...

EDIT: Here's one of the threads--it is a sticky in the New Divers forum, not Basic scuba. Finding the right sequence of search terms is magic around here...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...572-what-if-dive-planning-trust-me-dives.html

Last edited:
That's a good thread to read for sure, thanks. I guess what I was thinking here would be more of an emergency type of issue such as the above example. I'll try and post more examples to get this going.

HI all,

Not sure where to post this, but it seems appropriate here.

Is there a comprehensive list here at SB of emerg type scenarios that we could all benefit from executing underwater? That are not part of the OW..

One such scenario I read about today, one guy's kicked in the face near-disaster....he breathed in water not knowing his reg was bust, so very very very little time to go for backup, as you are choking!
  • test breathing from a blown out reg - press purge button and get accustomed to breathing

I'm sure with the experiences here on the board, there is a long list that we could all use to get better at executing emergencies so we don't do it for the first time IN AN EMERGENCY. If it's already posted apologies, maybe someone could link me.

B
The problem with that approach is that the "solution" to the problem is often not what it would seem to be. Sure, when your regulator starts delivering water instead of air the ultimate solution is use another air supply, your aux., or your team mates. But survival to the point where you can do so requires you to not choke on the incoming water, control your panic and not go clawing for the surface. Preparing for a regulator delivering water instead of air is likely best done by doing a lot of snorkeling in choppy conditions, not using a "dry" snorkel but rather a classic J tube type. How many divers today either have such a snorkel, have been encouraged to buy one of that design, or had significant training or practice in it's use?

Another example I can think of is BCD breathing. Depressing the exhaust and taking air in, exhaling into the water as you acend. Or depressing the exhaust and the inflate and breathing off the LP hose from your tank as needed. I can't think of many reasons to have to do this, but that is something I think would be best tested first than having to do it underwater in an emergency.

One example I can think of is a panic ooa situation where a buddy won't give back the regulator and for some reason you can't get your octo....buddy kicking etcetc who knows.

B

Another example I can think of is BCD breathing. Depressing the exhaust and taking air in, exhaling into the water as you acend. Or depressing the exhaust and the inflate and breathing off the LP hose from your tank as needed. I can't think of many reasons to have to do this, but that is something I think would be best tested first than having to do it underwater in an emergency.

One example I can think of is a panic ooa situation where a buddy won't give back the regulator and for some reason you can't get your octo....buddy kicking etcetc who knows.

B

I know your intent is good, and it's certainly good to practice emergency situations, but I cannot recommend practicing this particular solution. Unless, of course, you're a big fan of really nasty lung infections.

I know your intent is good, and it's certainly good to practice emergency situations, but I cannot recommend practicing this particular solution. Unless, of course, you're a big fan of really nasty lung infections.

You're right, intentions are good...not a fan of lung infections but less a fan of expiring LOL ;-)

Undercurrent recently published an article on BCD emergency breathing, and how to disinfect your BCD. Based on all available evidence, this one seems to be something that might be a last resort option but you probably should not practice it which means you might get it wrong when you need it. Catch-22

Disinfecting a BC is trivially easy and can be done any time you rinse it, which should be every time you dive in saltwater, right? That said, even rinsed and disinfected, the air tastes disgusting. I wouldn't practice this regularly if for no other reason than that.

I really prefer to talk about strategies for AVOIDING ever having to think about things like BC breathing . . . come on, guys! The only reason you'd ever consider it would be if you were completely out of gas, too deep for a comfortable CESA, and out of reach of a buddy. There is no excuse for running out of gas, but there are a couple of reasons why one's equipment might stop delivering it (or overdeliver it). So at that point, you have a buddy to share with and you do an ascent as you were taught. If you are diving without a buddy nearby, you ought to have a redundant gas source.

Planning and avoidance beats a toolbox of reactions any day.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom