Need a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of recommendations for Suunto computers so far. If I were to buy a computer for a teenager who will push limits, or someone who is not in perfect health, Suunto would be my first choice. Most reports have rated the Suunto line as being one of the most conservative on the market. For some divers it's too conservative, but unless you are one to regularly push limits and want every second of bottom time with a camera or spear gun. You probably won't notice the conservatism.

BTW I don't own a Suunto, because the type of diving I do when not teaching, is not what would be considered conservative. But I still do recommend them without reservation.

pt40fathoms:
A lot of recommendations for Suunto computers so far. If I were to buy a computer for a teenager who will push limits, or someone who is not in perfect health, Suunto would be my first choice. Most reports have rated the Suunto line as being one of the most conservative on the market. For some divers it's too conservative, but unless you are one to regularly push limits and want every second of bottom time with a camera or spear gun. You probably won't notice the conservatism.

BTW I don't own a Suunto, because the type of diving I do when not teaching, is not what would be considered conservative. But I still do recommend them without reservation.

I think I will look at a Suunto first. I'm usually a conservative diver so we should get along fine. Thanks for the advice.

H2Andy:
this should be fine. make sure you don't dive for 24 hours before the flight out.
also, if you can give yourself a day "break" in the middle of the week with no
diving, that will add to your safety.

Good advice...I always take a day off before flying.

Sherwood Wisdom! They are easy to read, Nitrox compatiable, and easy to use - I love my wisdom! Wisdom isn't big as Aeris Atmos 2 console, very small and slim.

Mine comes with quick disconnect and compass - for about 500 dollars.

Good luck!

WaterDawg:
ToriiDiver,

Ive only been away like 3.5 months!!!
My avatar was taken at Onna and my profile pic at Maeda.

Alot of folks say Suuntos are conservative. BUt diving another comp isnt gonna make you body absorb less N2. I've done some dives where I tell the comp Im using air but actually use EAN and a deco gas and I can still clear it before surfacing so I hate to see what the other comps "allow" you to do.

Like I said before PC downloable is a biggie as I tend to belive that w/o it your only using half the comp, if thats not what your into then ck out the Suunto Gecko. (Id stay away from the Mosquito)

User R2 batteries are nice cause if you go on a trip you can just take a extra batt w/ you or whatever instead of having to send it back to the comapny.

I have been looking all over the board and reading everything I can get my hands on. I have been borrowing an old Suunto/Seaquest Solution for several years, and it works like a champ, but my sister is going to start diving again so.... I have to get my own. What reason did you say "stay away from the Mosquito"? I need all the help I can get.
Thanks Choco

I have been diving an Oceanic Versa Pro for the past year and have been very pleased w/ it. It is more liberal than the Suunto and very easy to read at depth as listed in a previous post. I have friends that dive the Suunto air integrated computers that swear by them. Really depends on what you want. Both are great computers.

wildmtn:
Sherwood Wisdom! They are easy to read, Nitrox compatiable, and easy to use - I love my wisdom! Wisdom isn't big as Aeris Atmos 2 console, very small and slim.

Mine comes with quick disconnect and compass - for about 500 dollars.

Good luck!

Thanks...I checked out the Wisdom on Sherwood's Web site...looks good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom