need advice about a beanie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a beanie specifically to keep the blue gills from chomping at my ears :jaws: during dives at the local quarry...however, the Henderson 3mm gold core is quite comfy and has kept me toasty in waters 70F

I use a 3mm beanie for my Texas river and spring diving, which is around 70 degrees. It doesn't have any air entrapment issues, and is quite secure. Body Glove appears to have discontinued the model, however. Joediver still seems to sell them; it's the 3mm Super Beanie Wetsuit Cap. It has a double-secured velcro strap that is pretty spiffy.

Man, beanie prices have plummetted. I paid $50 for mine five years ago, and now they're running for less than half that. I'm tempted to order a spare.

I did a cenote dive in August with a 3mm suit and 3mm beanie. The water is a constant 72 degrees F. Initially, I thought I was going to be cold but the excitement and novelty enabled me to enjoy two dives. Additional warmth would have been better.

If you are cold blooded then I would take the previous suggestions and go with a hooded vest and possibly a 3mm beanie on top of that.

Have a good time.

Cagemaker

Beanies are one of those "why not?" devices. They weigh nothing and take up no room in the travel kit. They are of great value for thermal and abrasive protection, good for stingy critters, as well.

The coolest beanies I have ever seen- or custom design your own:

http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm

tiggrr:
I think you have a bad attitude toward beanies. I think beanies make you a better diver and I am super sexy in my beanie. See my avatar.... :D

Yeah, I do have an attitude towards beanies. They remind me of the swim cap my mom wore in the 60s. I don't like anything tied under my chin. I see people wearing them with fat necks and they create two rolls of fat on each side of the strap. They would look much better covering it up with a lycra hood or wearing a doo-rag.

Dive shops always stress comfort over looks (maybe that is a new topic--What Not to Wear on Dive Boats), but I don't see why you can't have both.

I like the ones with the little propeller on top. It creates a VORTEX sucking you through the water like a nuclear powered sub . . .

Stan

thanks so much you guys!! i really appreciate all the input. y'all are great! (ok, yes, i'm from houston) i love this board! terrific help and so speedy too! i'm going to look at all the links for the beanies and also look at hooded vest and see. and by the way, i like to be comfortable for sure, but like to look good too! i'm slender and so i don't have a fat neck, but you're still scaring me! let's just say that when you're in mid-life, your skin just isn't as nice and taut as when you were in your twenties, even if you're not overweight! thanks again for all the great input!!
redhatmama:
Yeah, I do have an attitude towards beanies. They remind me of the swim cap my mom wore in the 60s. I don't like anything tied under my chin. I see people wearing them with fat necks and they create two rolls of fat on each side of the strap. They would look much better covering it up with a lycra hood or wearing a doo-rag.

Dive shops always stress comfort over looks (maybe that is a new topic--What Not to Wear on Dive Boats), but I don't see why you can't have both.

Mo2vation:
Lots of Beenie alternatives here (and a damn funny thread!) I sure learned a lot from it.

For me, its all about the Elvis Beenie (beanie? Bini? Beenee?) someone posted a link to. NOW we're talking.

I want a warm water hood (beenie) that isn't completely lame, or too whimsical that I can't pull chicks.

OK - scratch that. I'm married. I don't want one so lame that Wifie turns my gas off.

You get the idea.

---
Ken

OMG! That collection of beanies is the greatest thing I have seen all day! Thanks so much!!! LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom