Need Advice for Diving Lights !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver whom made about 15 dives. Last week I completeted my PPB and Navigation dive towards my AOW certification. Next week, I will be doing my night dive. I know I need two lights, a primary and backup light. Most likely, I will not be doing and cave diving nor night diving in the near future. Because I have been spending alot of money recently for SCUBA and my wife has been understanding, I would like to keep the expenses related to diving lights to a minimum. Presently I have one light, I am not sure if it would be consider a primary or secondary. The light I presently own is:

Princeton Tec
7.5 watt/115 Lumens
Xenon Bulb
Burn time = 5 hours.

Can anyone recommend another light that is not too expensive that I could purchase?

Thanks for any information that you could offer.

Ronnie

I started w/ the Princeton Tec Shockwave II. Has 2 settings, 7.5 watt and 15 watt. Cheap, easy and takes a beating. Kinda like my ex girlfriend (only kidding of course).

Even if you go on to bigger and better things, it's a good light to keep around as a buddy or quick replacement light. For ~$50 depending on your shops

Tec 40 or 400? Either one would best be used as a back up to a Shockwave ll eled.
I used to use a UK D4 but have upgraded to the UK C8 eled, for my primary and the SL4 eled for my back up. Both of these use "C" cell batteries and give out enough light to work with on shore and I can swap batteries if needed, as well as carry only one size in my bag.

Any specific reason you want the light if you're not going to be going on night dives anytime soon?

The OP said they are doing their night dive next week.

I used to have a Shockwave II and it worked well.

Diver Dennis:
The OP said they are doing their night dive next week.

Somehow I managed to read "Most likely, I will not be doing and cave diving nor night diving in the near future." and miss "Next week, I will be doing my night dive."
It must be the drugs. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom