Need advice on best fins for birthday present

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to agree with those who say to let him choose.

Give him a gift certificate. It can be to a specific store for a specific amount if you like. When I gave my wife a new set of golf clubs, I made a nice one of my own design for a professional fitting at a store with professional advice leading to the purchase of whatever clubs she decided were the right ones--at whatever the cost. I suggest something along those lines, although you may want to put in the amount you are contributing to the cause.

Gift certificate. Let him choose and who knows, you may end up giving him two gifts if the fins he chooses are less than the gift cert. Always nice to be able to add something like an accessory or towards another piece of gear he may want.
To me that would say that you value and respect his choices and opinions.

I wish my wife was so proactive in buying me scuba gear! Definitely get him a gift certificate... OUR favorites my not become HIS favorites!

jet fins, slipstreams, hollis fins and Diverite fins may hurt his feet and calves if he's just getting started, even if he's plenty tough. They don't feel good for use with flutter kick, and that's how he'll start. He can pick out his own tech fins later if that's what he wants. I think getting him some cool fins is a great idea - he'll accumulate several sets over the years so don't worry that you're making a life choice for him that he might not like. In fact, a lot of us really wish we could try more of the fins out there, and receiving them as gifts would allow that indulgence. That said, you want to be able to say something about them that sell them as the best choice, so he's excited. That's why I would recommend the Avanti Quattro or Quattro +. You will find that the original Quattros are regularly rated as the fastest fins in (flutter kick) swim tests over the years (test here), and now the plus model is turning heads too (review here). So you can tell him they're a favorite because of speed. BUT, they're also commonly chosen by cave divers because they are efficient and perform more advanced finning techniques with ease. The fin is more flexible than the tech-oriented fins listed above, so they won't tear up his calve and feet when he's just getting started. One note, get the spring straps.

Hope this is helpful.

Don't play around... Scubapro jet fins.... Spring straps... Last a lifetime...

Jim...

I think I have gone through 3 pairs of those fins and I haven't used them in 15 years or so.. They are OK, but they will break and crack and the footpockets are NOT comfortable and tend to tear up your toes if you actually swim in them.

I also agree that letting him choose the fins is the best option... and after he has certified and tried a few different ones on. I don't want to start a flame war about splits vs non-splits, but all of my local (SoCal) diving is with Apollo Bio-Fins but when I travel I take my ancient U. S. Divers (yep, U. S. Divers) Blades since they are much lighter and help me meet the baggage weight limitation (my dive bag weighs 49.5 lbs). If he will be traveling to dive this may be a consideration.

I have Atomic Smoke on the water, Jet fins, Mares volo race and Mares xtreme and for the most comfortable and all around fin I like is the Mares Xtremes they even float so you don't have to chase them all the time when entering the water or if the come off. I put the bungee straps on and they are great also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom