need advice on key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another plug for Glenn, Brent, and Blue Water Diver at MM 100.

As for places to stay, I've stayed at a few in the Keys, and it really comes down to what you want to pay, and what is important. For anyone to say that ONE place is THE right place is rather short sighted. For our family we want cheap, clean, and a kitchen, but we generally stay for a week, and can live with outdated places.. it's just a place to sleep, and store stuff! For others they want the best, period. A good compromise is between price, and Luxury is Ocean Pointe Condo's, but I'm not sure about the in season Holiday rates.

Weather is something out of your control, and FL weather that time of year could be great, or a complete blowout for the entire week. Coz would be a safer bet...

We stayed at Marina Del Mar, (was the median price between the three hotels at mm100)

Decent for a dive trip, not what I would want for a "resort" type atmosphere....if your diving, who cares, clean rooms, good places to eat (head up the line to the Fish House, and down the line to Mrs. Mac's Kitchen) and dive boats within walking distance!

DHMO Diver:
My wife and I got a great Expedia package. Airfare, rental car and motel for 7 days at the Ramada Limited. The entire package was about $1400.

The Ramada limited is right next to the Holiday Inn and if you stay at one you can use the other's pools, etc. They surround the Marina Del-mar and there are several Dive/Snorkel/Glass bottom boats that use the marina. (The original African Queen is there too)-

My wife and I stayed there as well (Ramada Limited) a couple of weeks ago. We thought it was great (didn't spend much time there, of course). It overlooks the dive op we used, Rainbow Reef (their site, www.rainbowreef.com, gives you a great overview of the different dive sites...

We'll have to check out Brent on our next visit, after reading this thread...

We did Molasses reef, French reef, the Benwood wreck, and the Spiegel. Enjoyed them all, and think they're all good for your 10-year old, with the exception of the Spiegel. Current came on strong on the Benwood (nite dive), and it turned into a drift dive on the turnaround (excellent time -- followed a couple of nurses back to the mooring line).

Key Largo can have some rough seas. My wife fed the fish a time or two in some 5-6 foot swells... So, pack the Triptone or Bonine...

They are beautiful reefs... great dives... Enjoy...

If you're looking for more economical lodging, I'd recommend Bayside resort, which I've stayed at 3 times in the past 6 years. It's a 3 star hotel, has 2 restaurants on site (one Japanese, one American), a small pool in the back and a little beach.
There's a Burger King a stone's throw away and a supermarket across the highway. I've heard good comments about Marina Del Mar across the street as well.
As for dive ops, I like Ocean Divers (more expensive, slightly larger boat) and Silent World (Cheaper). Enjoy your trip.

Quiescence is always accommodating of special requests, they might be best for your 10 year old. It's A Dive goes out of the dock at the Marriott if you end up staying there.

We've stayed at the Marriott and liked it. The dive shop right at the Marriott, It's a Dive, was wonderful. It was very convenient and the people who work there were nice and they worked for everyone to have good dives and a good time.

KeyLargoBrent:
Marina Del Mar (~mm100)
Mariners Club (~mm98)
Ocean Point Suites (~mm92)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, but Im so late in booking for New Years, they were pretty expensive, especially considering i only want a place for a bathroom in the A.M. Ill be diving and fishing so much. I found a place called Gilberts. Its on the Bay side, but they said it would take less then an hour to get to the reefs, anybody been there? Any info on them. Thanks!!!

sweenz:
Thanks for the info, but Im so late in booking for New Years, they were pretty expensive, especially considering i only want a place for a bathroom in the A.M. Ill be diving and fishing so much. I found a place called Gilberts. Its on the Bay side, but they said it would take less then an hour to get to the reefs, anybody been there? Any info on them. Thanks!!!

Gilberts is located at MM107+. So to access the ocean you will have to cross Blackwater sound and then cut across to the ocean side at around MM 103 and then go through the Mangroves and then go from 6+ miles out to the reefs.

I have never been in the rooms at the hotel, but a would assume they are a bit rough as the place will be knocked down soon for a planned high end complex. I do like the Tiki Bar for cocktails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom