need advice on spearfishing fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadLatitude:
I agree with scott hornet makes a fine gun. Mu shallow water gun is a Paulope reef gun I LOVE IT switched to a fat single band though. mu other gin is a Biller 48 special , freeshaft Also a fine tool. As for gun #3 is an aluminum JBL and i wouldnt give the darn thing away to my worse enemy what a POS.

Not for a complete upheaval of opinions. Buy a pole spear to go along with your gun. It is very enjoyable diving with a pole spear especially while investigating a new spot or when a fish rocks up u can really get in there and stab untill you get em

JBL's are in all the stores and seem to be very popular. Why do you say it's a POS? What would you recommend for a new diver and someone with no knowledge at all about spearfishing? Would a pole be better for someone like myself? Thanks

The JBL i bought when I was in your boat was an aluminum one. the trigger is horrible the safty is rough the line is just some stringit frayed from its own clip in 2 or 3 shots. its got no cocking pad amd i personally dont like how they attach the bands ,,if one gets off center its a MAJOR PITA to get it sorted out on land let lone in the water.

A pole spear is great for exploring around its always there reloading is a matter of just holding it and sliding your holding hand foward. they are way cheap also. as i said above if a grouper rocks up u can get in there and work him. you can use it to guide a lobster out of a hole. I even use mine to anchor myself in a current to take a pic or observe somthing. By just sticking it into the sand. Also if you are buddy diving for pleasure you can use it as a pointer showing a boddy corals , fish , inverts ect.

Lets face it spear guns are just plain cool and fun. I would say definatly buy a 4ft pole spear and a spear gun. Dont skimp on the spear gun As Scott Zeagle said above check out the hornets! on also the line release on a hornet or biller is a nice mechanism , on a jbl its just a tention clip the hornet and biller come with plastic coated cable the jbl is string.

You could buy a Riffe for that kind of budge... and a polespear to go with it. Some 13yrolds have a longer reach than others. I would say the length you get would have to be determined by your reach. You can get smaller bands if you have trouble cocking the gun, but that won't matter if you can't reach the bands in the first place while getting the gun in a solid enough position to pull them back.

Polespears are great with helping you get comfortable with what size fish are legal as well as adjusting your depth perception for 'shooting' UW. Excellent for hitting smaller fish midwater or medium sized fish that are backed up in a hole. Great for gagging flounder too - yummy! I'm glad I got used to a Polespear before getting a 54" gun.

well thanks guys i decided just to get a pole spear but ive already taken 2 snaper 1 was a 22in yellowtail the other a 16inch mangrove to me this was a fine catch and big for snapper

The 42" would give you a taste and be good for most fish, I do agree with Chad though, a longer gun is always better for accuracy in Fl. Keven makes excellent guns, very well thought out equipment. Good luck in your new sport, if you have any question about techniques rigging etc. pm me or Chad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom