Need advice please - stuck between DM and Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitenoise

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, and I’m hoping this is the right place to put this question.

For the last 5 years or so I’ve been diving in the UK through BSAC (the British Sub-Aqua Club) and up to January last year had obtained the qualification of BSAC Sport Diver (equivalent to AOW according to PADI, but there are crossovers with Rescue). I’d done over 150 dives in the UK, Red Sea and Grenada in the Caribbean.

After spending a while thinking, I decided I’d like to start down the path of becoming a PADI Instructor (and beyond) and working somewhere warm. I flew over to Roatán and spent about 3 months or so doing my EFR, Rescue and DM courses. Once I had completed DM, I didn’t feel comfortable moving straight onto Instructor (as I like to spend some time at each level properly getting used to its new challenges), but sadly the centre I had done my training through didn’t hire DMs. To cut a long story short, logistics of staying on the island were proving difficult, so I returned back to the UK.

Fast forward to now. I’m now a BSAC Dive Leader/Assistant Instructor with about 260ish dives. I would now like to further investigate the possibility of continuing on that path to PADI Instructor once again.

Now while the DM course was ok, I felt that some elements were rushed, I didn’t get enough experience in some areas as I would have liked and I missed out on some opportunities. Consequently before I even consider doing my Instructor I would like to get some time working as a DM to get back into the swing of things. Problem is most places won’t hire a Divemaster (or this goes to locals) and since it’s been a year since I did the EFR and DM course, I’m not sure I would be fully confident about stepping back into that role anyway.

The post on this thread inspired me, as they the opportunities they have been given has allowed them to go onto to gain other skills like boat handler/captains licence, gas blender etc. But its all about where to go from here, as I’m currently stuck in a bit of limbo. Ideally I don’t really want to do the DM course again, I don’t want to rush into Instructor, but don’t feel 100% about working as a DM either.

I would like to leave my job here and head off to warmer climates. Sadly I only speak English (which does limit me I know), so it would have to be an English speaking country. I could start learning another language, but I’d obviously have to know which one first (!), and would only know the basics for around mid-September when I plan to do this (due to diving trips I’m committed to over the next few months).

Do you have any advice? Thanks.

I only speak English too and have spent the majority of the last ten years diving in Asia... Maybe look into Thailand. In places like Khao Lak and Koh Lanta dive centres hire DMs, and only speaking English is not a problem...

I agree with the language skills - From my own experience, a lot of places in Thailand were not so insistent on the language requirements. There are some very good CDCs over there, it's a good environment to work and learn in, it's a lot cheaper to live there than many other popular dive destinations, and it's a wonderful place to exist.

You have 260 dives when the minimum for DM is 60 and 100 for a PADI instructor. Number of dives to me is slightly - but not completely - irrelevant. The more dives you have under your weightbelt, the more experience you will have, of course, which counts for a lot - but number of dives doesn't count for much if you don't have the mentality to apply the experience you have learned. I have dived with newbies that I knew I could rely on, and instructors who I wouldn't trust to get out of bed in the morning without injuring themselves.

If you really want to do it - go for it. There are lots of great places to live and train and work and to a great extent, it depends on what you want to do as an instructor. If you want to live the life of the traveling, tropical dive bum then BSAC instructor training - regardless of the quality - is a dead end. For sure it's good training, but if you want to work in Asia, or Egypt, South America, Australia or the Caribbean, then you need to be certified as a PADI or maybe SSI instructor. I don't care what people say about XYZ agency being better than ABC agency, it's just a fact of life.

If you're good, you will prevail. You're right - many tropical dive centres will not hire DMs on a salaried basis - rather "work for us and the training is free". That's fine, if you can afford to support yourself for the duration of your course without earnings, but this might actually work out more expensive than booking a pre-paid Instrctor Developmeny package. Contact lots of potential training centres; ask lots of questions about what is or is not included; make an informed decision based on experience and personal recommendations... and above all, good luck!

Cheers,

C.

That's a good idea that you have to get back into your Divemastering first with the chance to gain some additional skills before starting on your instructors. We run with a similar idea here with DMs coming in before hand to gain experience before starting their instructor training. That way they can get an idea of how a resort runs, dealing with customers, leading dives and assisting with classes. If definitely gives you a head start for your Instructor training I feel. Good luck with your future pro training !!!!

Thanks guys for the advice, sorry it's taken a while for me to reply.

For some reason I've never fancied Thailand or the far east.

In terms of the number of dives, I agree. It's the quality of those dives that counts, which is why I've probably done more than that, but haven't counted any dive that was less than 15 minutes. It's been in a range of different conditions, and diving in UK waters can be interesting at times!

Yeah I know BSAC doesn't count for anything, but its useful in the UK and have got a lot out being a member of a BSAC club. I know that if I want to pursue this as a career choice, the being a PADI instructor is the way to go. Having knowledge from both sides of the fence though I think is always a good thing.

I take your point about having to support yourself if you are doing the internship option. Problem is that its often said its a good idea to do you DM and instructor in the place you want to teach in, as its easier than just turning up somewhere and asking for a job. I don't want to end up doing my refresher DM training, then the IDC and then end up with nothing afterwards?

If you feel a bit rusty then it would be good for you to help out assisting other DMs or instructors at a quality dive shop. Many IDC facilities will allow you to do something like that if you have signed up for your IDC, and some even pay you (although then you would need to "apply" and that is where languages come in to it). PADI IDC Dive Instructor courses, Dive theory IDC PADI IE exam revision have quality IDC facilities all over the world which could be a good place to start looking.

Also, I would advise you most strongly to do some kind of team-teaching after your IDC before you go it alone. The IDC doesn't teach you the logistics of putting your own course together and you will learn a lot from helping another experienced instructor after your IDC.

I wouldn't try learning a language just for your CV by the way. Like you say, it will only give you the basics and employers are interested in languages only if you can teach in them. The best way to learn a language properly is to live around it.

Good luck with your decision-making. I wish you all the best in your new career :)

Back
Top Bottom