need advise, Cebu 1 week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hwa0421

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to Cebu for 1 weeks.
Currently I'm thinking Bohol or Moalboal but Could you please advise itinerary (and vis condition in May)?
I like to see big pelagic but also like shooting macro in calm condition.

Thanks,

Have you considered Sogod Bay? I didn't see any large pelagics while there but much preferred it to Bohol overall.

If your looking for large pelagics, and would consider Threshers and Mantas Large Pelagics maybe you should consider Malapascua. Moalboal has the occasional Whaleshark sighting but I dont think you could rely on it, they have many many Turtles, some Sharks at Pescador and of course the huge school of Sardines at Pescador. Do some research on Sogod Bay in Leyte for whale sharks.

Bohol has Balicasag which is a world class dive. Read about it and see if that is something your interested in.

Lots of small stuff to photograph in Moalboal .

If your only here for a week I would pick one spot and enjoy instead of traveling around too much.

you are welcome to PM me for any advice on Moalboal(disclaimer::: I am teaching for one of the local resorts)..

Vis has been a little challenged right now so you will get anywhere from 15-25 meters in Cebu.

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank a lot, annasea, Rogersea,

Now I'm definitely interesting about Sogod Bay(Leyte).
Can you give some info about dive shop & hotel also?

On recommendation from clgsamson, I stayed at Sogod Bay Scuba Resort. I loved it! (And I can be fussy. :wink:) They are known for whalesharks but I have no idea if they see them in May. The resort is small but extremely clean and located right on the bay so you have a lovely view if you eat outside. When I was there, they were extremely flexible with the dive schedule. I didn't want to do any boat dives one day so one of the owners took me out for 3 shore dives instead. As a single traveller, I found their rates to be quite reasonable. The menu was adequate (not great) but I didn't go there for the cuisine so no real complaints.

Let us know what you decide. :)

Cebu and Negros.

Fly into Cebu that's got an international airport or to Manilla and then to Cebu. Domestic flights in the country are not expensive.

1 Take the bus from Cebu city to Moalboal and go diving with Jesper and the guys at Neptune. You will probably find Pescadore Island to be the best dive you ever made. First mail him on info@neptunediving.com and let him know you're on your way.

2 Then you continue down south to Lilloan and Santander. There you visit Dennis in his resort Eden. You find it at Eden Resort - Your all inclusive, western standard, luxury hotel & resort in Liloan, Santander, Cebu, Philippines and the drift dives you can do in this area is absolutely fantastic. You can reach Dennis on dennis@mensa.se to make sure he knows you're coming.

3 Take the ferry over to Negros and spend at least one night in Dumaguete. There are a lot of places to stay in that place. It's a nice town where you can find all the things you can't when you're travelling around in the bush. Don't miss the café in the basement of Lee Plaza.

4 Take another ferry over to the fantastic Island of Siquihor. There you find a tricycle to take you to Kiwi Dive Resort. The most laid back place you're ever likely to visit. Make sure you note when you arrive because it's very easy to get lost in time and realize that you've been hanging around With Bruce and his lovely staff for a long time... kiwi@fil.net is his address.

Of course there are other places worth visiting in the visaya area like Bohol and Malapascua and in the end it boils down to how much time you’ve got and how keen you are on moving around/stay and relax. For the people with a higher demand for evening/night activities Boracay is a natural choice. There is not very god diving but plenty of places that offer dancing till sunrise.

Beside Visaya there are many islands with excellent diving. The wrecks around Coron for example is world class and not far behind the famous Truck Lagoon.

Enjoy

Samaka

I stayed a Sogod Bay Scuba Resort as well. Nice and clean as stated a little upscale from places I normally stay. If you go to Sogod Bay I recommend the Padre Bergos pier night dive. I think we saw a star gazer, sea horses, frog fish and several nudibranchs. It is very shallow but all sorts of little critters to see.

Malapascua sounds good for you. There you have the imfamous thresher sharks, hammerheads, white-tips, mantas and devil rays for the 'big stuff'. But also there's great macro, usually in nice calm conditions (occasional current). Macro wise you could see flamboyant cuttlefish, bobtail squid, blue ring octopus, pygmy seahorses, frogfish, seamoths and a myriad of nudibrachs..... Check out Thresher Shark Divers.

To get there it's a 2.5 hour drive up from the airport to Maya, then a short boat ride across to the island itself.

Back
Top Bottom