Need Basic SKills/Pointers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my 20mm wide angle lens about 80% of the time. Not only for those wide reef scenes but mostly for wide angle close-up fish portraits. My 20mm does a fine job for whale sharks, wrecks and reefs. Besides, I'm not aware of lenses available in those other lengths available for your camera. Those choices are more common to SLR's.

As for taking it on and off, it depends on the dive sight. If I'm shooting macros along a wall where the possibility of something really big to come from behind or below, it's nice to know I can quickly add the WA to get the shot. Just because I have the ability to switch between lenses it doesn't mean I have to, but the ability to be able to do so has been priceless.

Dee,

I checked into it and they make a macro and a wide angle for the S50. So that sounds perfect--exactly what I need. Thanks for everyone's help. I plan on the following:

S50 Housing
D180 Strobe
Ball Joint Strobe Mount
Lense adapter, macro and WA lense.

Should cost me a pretty penny, but hey, it's just money :) Sounds like a hobby that should be a lot of fun! Hopefully I'll be in reasonably good form for my summer leave. I was hoping to do some diving in Japan. Anyone know of any good spots?

Sounds like a plan!

"Mostly though, I have only limited knowledge of camera apertures/shutter speeds, etc. and was wondering if you all could direct me in the direction of some good books, web sites, or whatever that give tips on how to start out. I just need some info. on manual use of the camera to get the best picture."

You are going to want to learn composition, exposure, metering etc on the SURFACE before playing around underwater. I would suggest the National Geographic Field Guide to Photography, any of Shaw's books (nature photography), and a complete perusal of the how-to articles on both photo.net and luminous-landscape.com. That should be more than enough to get you rolling as far as understanding the technical aspects of photography in general. In the meantime....shoot the sh*t out of your Canon above water....wide angle, macro, potraits, snaps...whatever.
Enjoy the reading...the National Geographic book is great!

Awesome! Thanks for the links....I'll get to practicing :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom