Need for SPG console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howler93

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Quick question for folks:

My fiance and I are heading to Belize to do some honeymoon diving, and we recently purchased regulators. But, that's ALL we got...regulators. Will we need to buy a pressure gauge also if we want to use our own regs and not rent them? If so, what's the best route to go here...a full-on SPG console? We both have computers, but they're not air integrated or anything. Do we really need a compass? Any help/advice is appreciated, and if you can recommend specific models...even better. THanks everyone!

Howler :coffee:

This should have been covered in your Basic class. I think someone needs to review their book. :wink:

If you're computers are wrist mounted then a simple brass-chrome SPG will do; either 2.5in or 2in face diameters is the standard norm.
Here's an example:
2.5in SPG
Your LDS will be a quick way to get one fast.
Scuba.com
leisurepro
piranhadivemfg.com
divegearexpress.com
those websites also stock these types of SPG's

When diving you need to have some device to tell you your:
-depth
-time
-tank pressure

This info along with your brain are the necessities to have a safe dive. Each diver should be equipped with device(s) for these three pieces of info, combining them via console or computer is a convenience. But even with AI computers, a lot of divers will still have a backup analog SPG

You guys have backup/octos too right?

Edit:
Forgot to mention. You'll need an HP hose to connect the SPG or console to your regulator. You can string it under your arm and hook it to your BC using a boltsnap or plastic clips (your choice).
If it's an SPG like the one I linked then the usual place to hook it is your waist D-ring with caveline/nylon line and a Stainless Steel bolt snap. Stainless Steel is preferred because Brass and bronze tend to have sharp edges that can cut your thumb easily when you manipulate the door. A little filing will fix that issue though if you're tight on cash.
Here's a link on how to tie a bolt snap onto your hose:
How to Tie the Perfect Boltsnap

And compasses are essential for navigation.

Last edited:
Many SPGs come with hose. They do not come with grease. Can go to LDS for oxygen compatible grease. Heat protective boot in hot water so it is easier to get on. I always have a compass. It is up to the individual if they want a console with compass, spg, depth/temperature, etc.

I have one Reg set with full console.

And one with only SPG, Octo on Inflator hose, computer and compass on wrist.

Yes, you will need an SPG. Just get the cheapest one you can buy off leisurepro.com and install it yourself (it isn't hard). I seem to recall they sell a cheap Sherwood SPG for about $65. It will come with a HP hose.

You may also want to buy a LP inflator to hook into your BCD if you are planning to rent a BCD down there. You can always orally inflate, but most people prefer to just push a button.

If you have got a computer, you should be good for depth / time. No need to worry about getting a full on "console" with your SPG.

For octos - opinions vary. I don't bother with one. Other people think it is a mandatory piece of kit. I can say that in 31 years of diving I have never either had to breathe of someone else's octo or had someone else breathe off of mine (before I stopped carrying one).

There are many opinions on whether it's best to have a compass or computer on your wrist or in a console. Both have pros and cons, it's really a matter of your personal preferences and your diving. If you have time, read some of the 10000 threads on the subject and then decide. If you're leaving real soon and don't have time, just get basic SPGs for now and install them on your regs - perhaps try and get something you know will fit in a console later that has a place to put a compass and maybe your computer if you might decide later to go that way. (There are some modular ones.)

You may be able to rent an SPG but it's not the usual thing to do. Never know, they might want to rent you a whole reg set anyway because they don't want to take them apart, or because by renting you just the SPG off a set they've now made it useless to rent to someone else.

A compass is always good to have, but probably not essential in most Caribbean dive resort places. I have mine in a console because it's one less separate bit of gear and one less thing on my wrist. If I used it a lot, I might be more inclined to have it on my wrist.

I wouldn't consider an octopus optional unless you're diving only with people you know of the same mindset, with no one else around. Sure lots of people have never needed theirs, but others have. (I have, and it was not for my buddy but a random guy on the boat.) Buddy breathing is not taught to most divers anymore. In any event, if you're at any kind of tropical dive destination it doesn't matter if you personally don't want one, as it's pretty common for dive ops to require them.

Last edited:
You need an SPG on a HP hose. Leisure Pro is not the only place you can get one for a good price. See my website. What else you need besides that if you have a computer is a compass. Not necessarily on the console. I prefer a wrist mount for the compass and the computer. Much cleaner set up and no big clunky console to haul around. Also make sure you have something to clip your SPG and octo off on. Hanging stuff is a no-no and a dead sure sign of a poorly trained diver or one who does not care about their gear of the reef. All of this should have been covered in detail in your OW class during the equipment lecture and demonstration segments.

Why do you need a compass? Well unless you are really good with natural navigation how are you going to find your way back to the boat? Some may say well I'll just follow the DM. But what if you get separated from him/her? Or what if you get distracted and end up away from the group if you are diving with one? You should know what heading you are swimming on when you leave the boat so that of you do get separated you can find your way back. Or if the DM decides to lead you somewhere you are not comfortable? You better know how to find your way back when you give him/her the finger and turn around to go back on your own with your buddy. Knowing what direction you started out will allow you to turn around and go back along the reciprocal heading.

I think you should get a console with spg that you can put your comuter into. Compass is optional but I recomend every own and know how to use one. (on land and in the water.) Its a safety thing.

I will disagree with part of the above mainly b/c I am not a fan of consoles.

I suggest you get a simple brass & glass SPG w/HP hose and a wrist-mount compass. You can use a stainless steel bolt-snap to attach your SPG to your BC so it doesn't drag or hang free. Easy, simple, and all you really need. Retractors and bungee things are a waste of money, IMO.

You can get a SPG w/HP hose for 83 bucks, 3.99 for a bolt snap, and couple bucks for some cave line to tie it. Dive Gear Express has all this stuff and instructions on how to tie it properly.

Wrist-mount compasses are easily found used for 75 or less (for a Suunto SK7).

I will disagree with part of the above mainly b/c I am not a fan of consoles.

I suggest you get a simple brass & glass SPG w/HP hose and a wrist-mount compass. You can use a stainless steel bolt-snap to attach your SPG to your BC so it doesn't drag or hang free. Easy, simple, and all you really need. Retractors and bungee things are a waste of money, IMO.

You can get a SPG w/HP hose for 83 bucks, 3.99 for a bolt snap, and couple bucks for some cave line to tie it. Dive Gear Express has all this stuff and instructions on how to tie it properly.

Wrist-mount compasses are easily found used for 75 or less (for a Suunto SK7).

Or less on both items if you look :wink:

Or less on both items if you look :wink:

Totally agree. One example is certainly not the end of the Internet, that's for sure. :cool2:

Actually, now that you mention it, the one at DGE has a 32" hose, so based on that alone I would go with something else - 32" is way too long!

Back
Top Bottom