Need help choosing a new computer, read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah yes, I see it from the Bargain Annex. It would be nice to have a bungee mount for this one.

It is in their Bargain Annex, and I'll bet it doesn't last too long!
https://www.divegearexpress.com/zeagle-n2ition-3-gas-dive-computer

---------- Post added May 27th, 2015 at 04:34 PM ----------

I'll say one thing for tbone, he isn't always right but he is never in doubt!

I also saw that it is 30 second sampling. That sounds kind of long. My Aladin 2G is 4 seconds.

Log book function will hold up to 30 hours (or 60 dives) based on 30 second profiling intervals

Keith, search Zeagle N2ition or just Zeagle and it'll pull up. DGX has been updating their website and it isn't all put together quite yet. I think it has 10 second sampling for the dive but only logs 30 second intervals due to lack of memory.

Ron, regarding AI. I don't have any specific recommendations because I don't dive these computers and don't see the purpose of them. They are horribly expensive for what they are. Example, you can buy the Zeagle above for $170, and a SPG with hose for under $100 and you're at $250. Geo 2.0 puts it at $500. Atom 3.1/Hollis TX1 is $900. You could get the DG03 for $500 or so with transmitter but that is a product no longer supported. For $900 I would rather spend an extra $100 and get a Petrel, with a N2ition, with an SPG, and have one vastly superior computer, one backup computer, and an analog SPG that is good enough. The main issue with all of this is how inexpensive the Petrel is.

The best computer on the market is under $800, anyone can argue with whatever computer they purchased, but there is no denying that the Petrel is the most reliable, fully featured, bargain in the industry right now. They made the Predator smaller, better, cheaper, and basically said "**** you" to all of the other computer companies when they did it, and that is why the computer discussion is so simple. 3-4 years ago we had the similar discussion with HOG and their regulators. Why would you spend money on a Dive Rite or Hollis when you could buy essentially the exact same regulator for half the price? Why buy an Apeks or Scubapro for 3-4x the money when the Hog's were basically disposable.

Regarding bungee mount, working with Tobin to verify it will fit, but he is fairly confident this will fit.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1310

Regarding not always being right but being sure. I never said this computer is the best on the market, does it have flaws? Of course, have I researched them in depth? No, but for $170 it is a serious no brainer for anyone looking for the first computer, a backup computer that has gauge mode, first technical computer for intro to mixed gas diving etc etc. Any faults it has are negated by the fact that it is under $200. The DG03 wasn't perfect either, has a lot of things that I loathed, but for $250 it was a bargain for what it was. This for $170 is a steal. You can spend more to get better functionality, but I'd rather save that money and put it towards a bp/w, sidemount rig, regulators, exposure protection etc where spending more on them is worthwhile. This covers all of the basics that any diver needs, there will be compromise, but there is still compromise on the Petrel, and any other high dollar computer. Nothing can ever be perfect for all divers. Though the comment about not having run time on the main screen is disturbing... That might be worth bringing up to AUP as a WTF were they thinking type inquiry to CS.

Looks like a very good computer to begin with. And at that price, it is a no brainer. The manual seems to be the wrong manual. The computer screen is dot matrix type. The one shown in manual is trandition LCD type, and manual doesn't describe compass mode at all. I also wonder if any of the dive mode shows second in dive time, if it does, and if there is bungee mount for it, this is really hard to beat.
Yes, it is the wrong manual. I told DGX, but I've gotten no response. I'm guessing the manual is similar or identical to the DR Trio manual, and that is easily available on the web. One downside of the Trio/In2ition 3 is they lose their gas setting after a dive....you have to reset your gases every dive. Stupid. I think the bungee mount for the Duo fits it; at least, the Duo mount fits the Trio, and I think the Trio and the Zeagle are the same. I'll tell you Friday....I'm waiting for mine in the mail!

FYI You can get Zoops for <$200 in SoFL when they are on sale. Last time I noticed they were $185 but that was a couple years ago.

That being said the Zeagle is a better deal for sure.

Even at $150, the Zoops don't make sense because if you do anything but basic recreational diving they are useless. Any computer without gauge mode shouldn't even be considered, especially one more costly than this.

Regarding the log, good luck finding the computer cables to download the log information anyway, they were hard to find when these were actively being sold, and were well over $100. Not worth it.

Regarding sampling, it is diver settable at 10 or 30 second intervals, and that just effects how many dives it will log, but still unsure if that is just how often it logs or if that is the actual sample interval. 10 seconds seems a bit long, but that is probably just the frequency of the computer reading all of the numbers to calculate decompression. Wouldn't worry about it, we are still marking with chalk and cutting with an axe on deco.

Keith, search Zeagle N2ition or just Zeagle and it'll pull up. DGX has been updating their website and it isn't all put together quite yet. I think it has 10 second sampling for the dive but only logs 30 second intervals due to lack of memory.

Ron, regarding AI. I don't have any specific recommendations because I don't dive these computers and don't see the purpose of them. They are horribly expensive for what they are. Example, you can buy the Zeagle above for $170, and a SPG with hose for under $100 and you're at $250. Geo 2.0 puts it at $500. Atom 3.1/Hollis TX1 is $900. You could get the DG03 for $500 or so with transmitter but that is a product no longer supported. For $900 I would rather spend an extra $100 and get a Petrel, with a N2ition, with an SPG, and have one vastly superior computer, one backup computer, and an analog SPG that is good enough. The main issue with all of this is how inexpensive the Petrel is.

The best computer on the market is under $800, anyone can argue with whatever computer they purchased, but there is no denying that the Petrel is the most reliable, fully featured, bargain in the industry right now. They made the Predator smaller, better, cheaper, and basically said "**** you" to all of the other computer companies when they did it, and that is why the computer discussion is so simple. 3-4 years ago we had the similar discussion with HOG and their regulators. Why would you spend money on a Dive Rite or Hollis when you could buy essentially the exact same regulator for half the price? Why buy an Apeks or Scubapro for 3-4x the money when the Hog's were basically disposable.

Regarding bungee mount, working with Tobin to verify it will fit, but he is fairly confident this will fit.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1310

Regarding not always being right but being sure. I never said this computer is the best on the market, does it have flaws? Of course, have I researched them in depth? No, but for $170 it is a serious no brainer for anyone looking for the first computer, a backup computer that has gauge mode, first technical computer for intro to mixed gas diving etc etc. Any faults it has are negated by the fact that it is under $200. The DG03 wasn't perfect either, has a lot of things that I loathed, but for $250 it was a bargain for what it was. This for $170 is a steal. You can spend more to get better functionality, but I'd rather save that money and put it towards a bp/w, sidemount rig, regulators, exposure protection etc where spending more on them is worthwhile. This covers all of the basics that any diver needs, there will be compromise, but there is still compromise on the Petrel, and any other high dollar computer. Nothing can ever be perfect for all divers. Though the comment about not having run time on the main screen is disturbing... That might be worth bringing up to AUP as a WTF were they thinking type inquiry to CS.

I can respect a person that tells it like it is

Yes, it is the wrong manual. I told DGX, but I've gotten no response. I'm guessing the manual is similar or identical to the DR Trio manual, and that is easily available on the web. One downside of the Trio/In2ition 3 is they lose their gas setting after a dive....you have to reset your gases every dive. Stupid. I think the bungee mount for the Duo fits it; at least, the Duo mount fits the Trio, and I think the Trio and the Zeagle are the same. I'll tell you Friday....I'm waiting for mine in the mail!

It's the exact same computer as the DR Trio, and yes, Tobin's bungee mount fits. I have one and I love it. I just used the bungee mount from my original N2ition, I need to order a replacement for it soon...

I got an very good deal and purchased a Dive Rite Nitek Duo in early 2008. I found it extremely conservative and dived it only a short time. It was so much more conservative than my other computers that it was useless to me as a backup. I did not appreciate the degree of variability in decompression algorithms when I made my purchase.

In the 2009 ScubaLabs hyperbaric chamber, multiple dive simulation testing, the Zeagle N2ition 3 algorithm was placed in the same league as the Suunto and Mares RGBMs: Best Dive Computers 2009 | Scuba Diving. You may want to take this into consideration. The computer itself worked flawlessly and was easy to use. I loved the DSS bungee mount.

So, does it or does it not display run time on the main screen?

Back
Top Bottom